Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 04:22:12 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Had it with Strataglass

Started by regalman190, August 07, 2014, 10:22:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

regalman190

OK, reached my limit. I've had it with Strataglass. I've ordered over 10 sheets of Strataglass in the last two months and every sheet has had defects. I even went to my supplier and they pulled over 5 sheets from new drums and all had defects. The ends are rough and ugly and the sides have ghosting. Manufacturer says they have a 3" tolerance all around for defects. Are they nuts? We
need every inch of a sheet we can use. My supplier says return it before I cut it. But many times you can't see it until it's hung in sunlight. Even found defects in the middle of the sheets.
I think I'm going to try O'Shea. Keyston is here and they carry it. And it's less expensive.
Anyone here try O'Shea?

Sorry for the rant.
Regal Canvas

Eric

Regal, I have the same problem, as stated in JoJos  thread. Just went thru irritating warranty claim from them. I will stick with o'sea, a better product as far as I'm concerned. Stay away from strataglass and there bad customer service and quality control.

Mike

August 07, 2014, 12:54:15 pm #2 Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 07:01:42 pm by Mike
I havnt  ordered any strat for a time but i know what you neen on the edges. Ive had a cew spots in the iddle ive been able to work around.   Keyston and miami   Are my main suppliers.

Mike

There wa a time some yeasr ago. We had some bad strataglass. Alot of people dont cut the heavy. Inyl but score it with a blade then tear it   And it would crock off in a new direction. Ruining the whole piece. 

Old sailmaker

Ouch! Ive used both and didnt notice much difference but the Osea did have a slight tint that i could notice but only when side by side in the sunlight. I think Im going to start using Osea as both are way too expensive to be having defects when you pay that much for a piece of  pvc plastic basically.

regalman190

Also. Is it me or has it gotten softer. It seems like it. I also don't like how it buckles after sewing. But, that goes away when I install them.
Regal Canvas

forsailbyowner

Ive got strataglass , roll vinyl and makralon on my dodger as typically I use scraps from other peoples jobs to build my own stuff. After a few years the strataglass doesnt look any better than the roll vinyl.
the makralon is still super clear almost like glass. Im selling the makralon to my customers when i can. I think stataglass is just a lie as to the 10 yr claims.

Old sailmaker

@regalman- i think it has gotten softer as well. Not sure if it is the heat/ambiant temp or not but the last couple of jobs Ive used 40ga and it seemed to be super soft. Im thinking 60 gauge for my next couple of projects.

Mike

60 is nice ive used it on big boats and had some leftover I use  sometime ago on the front windows on a trawler I had

jsquail

I have been using O'Sea 30 and 40 gauge for 2 years now. Good stuff.  I had some issues with Crystal Clear a few years back and stopped using their products. Unless I have a customer who specifically requests Strata, i dont use it.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Old sailmaker

So since on the subject of strata i have another question, what mill are you guys using on the large sportfish boats? Say 47' and up boats, 40-60 gauge? 40 seems maybe a little loght?

JuneC

It's softer and thinner IMHO.  I recently bought some 40 gauge and I swear I thought I had been supplied 30.  The rolls I bought had razor sharp factory edges that were a mess - not trimmed up at all.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

Quote from: JuneC on August 21, 2014, 06:42:25 am
It's softer and thinner IMHO.  I recently bought some 40 gauge and I swear I thought I had been supplied 30. The rolls I bought had razor sharp factory edges that were a mess - not trimmed up at all.

June
is straglass available in rolls now? sweet I hate when I have a quarted of a sheet I cant use

JuneC

No, just sheets.  My bad - I used the wrong term.  I was very frustrated by the last I got because the sharp edges had scratched the glass where it had been rolled up.  I was able to cut around, but I hate having to get all creative on cutting when I've already done my work in layout before I ever ordered. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

I havnt order any strata for some time. Bit last i did it had some cloudy edges that i didnt see intill i made the windows and saw a cloudy spot 1/2" into the panel beyond the facing. Licily it wasnt a problem.