Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 02:20:41 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How would you do this? Hall bench seat.

Started by byhammerandhand, August 01, 2014, 12:52:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

I'm making a hall storage bench.   Sort of like a toy box or blanket chest with a lid and storage under an upholstered seat.

The top will be upholstered and there will be a wooden frame about 2" high around three sides.   Sort of like an old-fashioned wagon seat.   I don't know that I've ever seen anything like this so I'm pondering ideas on how to do it.

My thought is to take two pieces of 1/2" plywood.  Upholster the top one like a chair slip seat.  Attach the trim frame around the edge, front trim strip in matching wood,  hinges, lid support, etc. onto the bottom one.   Then slip in the seat and attach it via screws from the bottom up.

Alternative ideas?
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

scott_san_diego

How about a boxed cushion with or without welt on the top and bottom of the cushion.  You could leave it loose or sew a piece of velcro on the under side of the cushion.

MinUph

Sounds like a nice project. A loose cushion won't be as heavy as an upholstered piece of 1/2" when your lifting the top.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

It is a seat as well storage you implied or stated ...........therefore I am expecting legs are required ....... how do they come into play? 

I might have missed the idea?

Doyle

brmax

Can some 3"wide by 5quarter be used as the frame and have the covered cushion or cushions as you mentioned sit inside a wide 3/4" recess. 
Good Day

bobbin

If you're not married to the idea of upholstery, I'd think a boxed cushion would be great.  You would then be able to flip it over if it became soiled, and you'd also be able to remove the skin and wash it.  A couple of snaps on the back or the sides could mate to male studs and keep it in place securely. 

byhammerandhand

August 02, 2014, 09:21:34 am #6 Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 09:22:33 am by byhammerandhand
I tried to find a photo similar to my design.   This was the closest that I could get.   It's similar to this except the corner posts will go all the way to the floor, have a taper on the last 2" and there is no base molding.  And it will be natural finish, not painted, and have some intermediate stiles.   Other than that, exactly the same :-)

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

bobbin

Exactly like this, only different.  Lol.

sofadoc

I would do a loose cushion. The raised rails on 3 sides will keep it in place fairly well.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

I made a deacon's bench like that for my sister one year for X-mas. I put a back on it that was upholstered. I laminated 16" pine project boards to make the sides/front/back and made the seat an upholstered board but hinged it to a board on top wide enough that the lid stays open when you lift it.

Another option is make the seat permanent and make doors on the front with nice brass hardware and possibly rolling shelves. I'll check when i get back to Brandon for pics of Sheila's bench,but ----doubtful.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

byhammerandhand

We looked at doors, drawers, bins, etc.   Customer wants a lift lid.  A 4 year old boy, 2 year old boy, and 5 week old girl.    So we're worried about cushion coming off.   Already have some cloth divider bins to go inside and still meet dimension requirements for the target spot.

I'll have to post a photo when done.   Right now, it's still in the pile of boards stage.
Keith

Darren Henry

QuoteSo we're worried about cushion coming off.

Like I said, with Sheila's I cut the top far enough in front of the back that the lid would stay open even though it was upholstered and mounted it with a piano hinge. My niece/nephew were a little older than that , but there were lots of young people go through their house and no issues with pinched fingers etc...
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!