Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:23:48 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Machine Problem...Help!

Started by jojo, July 24, 2014, 10:13:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

I got a thread jam in the bobbin area and the safety clutch engaged. As a result I can't move the handwheel. How do you disengage the safety clutch?
My machine is a Highlead GC-0618. Nothing fancy, just a standard mechanical bottom loader machine. I've had machines in the past where there's a button on the bed to disengage the clutch, but my machine only has one button for the stitch length.
Any ideas?

jojo

Ok, found out that the button is the safety disengage thing. But, turns out that's not the problem. Apparently it's locked up simply because of the thread jam. I tried a tweezer to pull the thread out, but the thread keeps breaking - that's how firmly entrenched it is. I can't get any leverage on the precision screwdriver to take the tiny screws that hold the hook on, so I'm going to call the repair guy. :(

Tejas

As for leverage on sewing machine screws located with limited access, here is link to ratchet a screw driver set review that might help.

http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/screwdrivers-part-3-which-set-do-i-or.html

To remove thread jams, among other sewing related uses, I use compound joint hemostats.

http://www.amazon.com/Gearwrench-Set-Hemostat-Each-82111/dp/B00HDTXJ90/ref=sr_1_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1406228590&sr=1-2&keywords=hemostat
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

sofadoc

I've taken those tiny screws out of dozens of machines with a precision screwdriver over the years, and I've never encountered a leverage problem.

You might try wrapping some tape around the handgrip of the screwdriver to fatten it up. It might give you a better grip, and a little more mechanical advantage. 

Actually, the button is the RE-engage thing.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

my singer will jam up tight but ive always been able to wiggle it back n forth and get the thread loose. never had to remove the hook yet never have and don't want to   you lucky you have a repair man nearby I found a good guy abouto an hour away and 80 plus years old

JuneC

I was down for 3 days once with a 5 or 6" piece of thread bound between the bobbin case and the housing.  PITA.  Nothing! would move.  It was as if a 5 ton boulder was in there.  I disassembled the entire lower end of the machine pursuing a solution (I didn't know there was thread stuck in there). 

Your local drug store (Walgreens, CVS, etc.) sells eyeglass repair kits that include very tiny screwdrivers that work well for the teeny screws you might have to remove.  Can't get any torque on them, but they're great for the tiny stuff.  As SofaDoc suggests, the tape (wound with sticky side out) can be of use, especially for keeping the teeny parts from escaping while you disassemble.  Put a white sheet under the machine before you start any of this to catch things that may fall out.  You don't want to be looking for things the size of a pinhead in carpet. 

Honestly, I don't know of anything you could put on the thread to make it shrink to a point that you can pull it out without any disassembly.  Sure wish there was.  I've tried oil - LOTS of it - to no avail. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

timtheboatguy

I have the same machine and have had the same thing happen a few times. I grabbed the wheel with a death grip and work it back and forth a few times until it broke free and then I was able to get the thread jam out. Be sure to eat your spinach first!  Probably not the approved method however.
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Mike

Ha that sound how i do it tim.

jojo

Thanks guys.

So the guy came and it took him 5 minutes to fix it. He suspects that I didn't pull up the bobbin thread and just started sewing to get a jam that severe. I believe him. I've never done this before, but I wouldn't be surprised nonetheless.
He was a real nice guy and showed me exactly what he did and how to check the timing, etc. He uses a big long screwdriver with a tiny head to get the tiny screws out, and he said they're hard to find.

Anyway, back in business! Thanks for your help, guys!

Darren Henry

Glad to hear you're back up and running. As far as leverage on the screwdriver (in case it comes up again)---I've got that set of ratchet screwdrivers Tejas linked to. I use them for gunsmithing because they are hollow ground and fit a machine screw better than a typical screwdriver but have never thought to use them on a sewing machine.I just find a screwdriver that fits well and turn it with a pair of pliers or vise grips.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Grebo

Isn't it amazing how such a lump of a machine can be stopped dead in it's tracks by a poxy bit of thread.

Suzi