Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 01:19:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Repairing a split in leather...

Started by jimmyspenser, July 22, 2014, 08:03:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyspenser

We have an older car that has developed a perpendicular split on the left-hand driver's seat (US car) about 4-5 inches long. I have a thin kidskin leather made into a jerkin-styled top, which I no longer wear. I had Fred pull it over the headrest and let it fall without tucking it in. It worked very nicely, until his constant sliding out of the car tore that also. I can repair the split, but believe it will just rip further along. So, what in fabric or leather, would be a good choice? No vinyl, it is too difficult for me to handle.
#1 Southeast Sewing Company since 1983 SewingMachine.com

kodydog

Sorry Jimmy. I don't think there is a way to repair a split in leather other than replacing it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Darren Henry

July 25, 2014, 04:50:19 am #2 Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 04:54:05 am by Darren Henry
Actually, you can repair a cut or rip in leather. You may have to go see your local cobbler to get some contact cement used for leather (I prefer Helmitin or Renia and dislike Barge). Skive * the edges of a patch and glue it on the back  side of the affected piece, flesh  side to flesh side. I like to apply it while the glue is still wet so I can adjust it a little to get rid of wrinkles. Turn the project over and use a needle or skewer to put a little glue right in the cut and then adjust to where everything is flat and aligned. Any  glue that seeps out after you press the patch on can be removed from the grain side of the leather with an eraser after it dries.

* skive = bevel the edges. Put the patch on a smooth hard surface like a piece of marble or plate glass and cut with a sharp knife from  3-4 times the thickness of the leather to 0 at the edge. or sand it off on a drum sander etc...
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!