Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 04:27:26 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

pontoon boat - installing snap fasteners

Started by Judy_Boat, July 20, 2014, 07:40:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy_Boat

the pontoon boat (8' x 16") has never had a snap on mooring cover on it.
soon it will.
I will be installing the screw studs along the sides through the 1" tubing and some across the front deck through the aluminum channel(about 1/8" thick)
Will the self tapping SS screw studs (3/8"length) work for the side rails and the aluminium channel.  If so what works best for the pilot hole.

I seem to recall adding threaded screw studs before on a pontoon and having to use a tap to cut the threads in the aluminum channel.
thanks

Mike

1/8" will generaly work with most railings and the heavier metal Id go 9/64"

Old sailmaker

Dont forget to use a good sealant when installing the studs in the boat, i like 4200 or silicone

Mike

in a square aluminum rail I wouldn't worry about it

Judy_Boat

snap spacing along the sides should be about 18"
Is that about right?

timtheboatguy

Quote from: Judy_Boat on July 22, 2014, 01:23:12 pm
snap spacing along the sides should be about 18"
Is that about right?

Personally, I like to use more snaps that that, usually about every 12" and more around corners and openings like for the bimini frame. I had a pontoon boat come in last year for a cover that had snaps every 8 to 9" in the boat! It was a workout putting all those snaps in!
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Mike

also 12" is qabout the max id go on a cormal cockpit cover on a regular boat I usealy go 9" though I  havnt had to install snaps like that in a long time. maxums in the early 90s  used to use and exurbanite amount  about 4"  that was a pia

Judy_Boat

studs went in fine.  Only broke one drill bit.
Majority spaced 10" apart, except where going around cut outs.  Spacing looks good to the eye.
It is also a small pontoon so installing the snaps on the cover will not be too bad.
thanks for the advice

Mike