Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 22, 2024, 04:37:35 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Juki 563

Started by Bear, July 16, 2014, 08:53:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

Hello!

I'm still pretty learning the ins and outs of my experienced Juki 563.

I'm sewing a lot of canvas, and normally, it works really well.

The problem I'm having is when I am sewing over a seam of a thicker, multiple layer, to just a double layer.

The walking foot stoodd and I have to carefully lift the foot and fiddle with it to get over the hump. This often leads to missed stitches, and too many broken needles.

I have both increased and decreased  the presser foot tension and continue to have this problem.

I would really ike to know if anyone has any suggestions.

Thank you very much!

-Bear

sofadoc

Welcome Bear

Do you have a manual? If so, look under "Adjusting the height of the presser foot and the walking foot". You might also consider lowering the feed dog a little.

But I would "tread lightly" when making these adjustments. You may get the machine out of adjustment for normal thickness sewing. And making these adjustments is not something you want to do every time you go over a hump.

If you don't have a manual, send me a PM, and I'll try to copy a couple of pages for you.
Or maybe someone else here has the jpeg file he can download?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

My manual went home with the new owner of my Juki 562 (small bobbin version of 563). 

My 1541 has a dial that allows me to adjust the "step" of the inside foot and it makes the "balk" at a thicker seam a breeze. 

Less is definitely more when it comes to adjustments.  I would suggest this:  if your machine is set up with welting feet the feet will make less contact with the feed dog and the feed will be more uneven when stitching fabric without welting.   If you think that may be a problem try switching to the regular feet when you're not applying welting.