Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 12:24:25 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What size foam?

Started by clt3, June 19, 2014, 02:20:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clt3

If I want a finished box cushion to be 22 x 22 x 3, what size should I cut the foam?  Should I cut the bottom and top pieces the same size, or add seam allowances?  I have done this before, but not recently and can't remember how I sized them.  Thanks for your input.

kodydog

June 19, 2014, 03:01:57 pm #1 Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 06:44:44 pm by kodydog
Everyone does it a little different. For a 23 X 23 X 3 finished cushion I cut the foam 24 X 24 x 3-1/2. Then I wrap the the top, around the front and the bottom with Dacron. I don't wrap the sides. I always find this gives too much push and makes the cushion look strained.

I don't stock 1/2 inch sizes of foam. I always try to make my boxing finish at 2-1/2", 3-1/2", 4-1/2", etc.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Darren Henry

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

clt3

Thanks so much.  I'll cut the foam to 23 x 23 x 3 1/2 and the fabric the same size then.

bobbin

I generally overcut foam by 1/2" on the perimeter.  I do a lot of marine work and cushions frequently have to fit inside/behind coaming.  So, if you overcut by 1/2" on all sides and you have multiple cushions to fill the area behind the coaming you will find yourself in a "world of hurt" in pretty short order (a lesson I relearned painfully not too long ago!). 

So be careful with overcuts! only time and experience will give you the "key" to overcutting foam.  And even then you can have your hindquarters singed by complacency (ask me how I know). 

The foam I use is sold in even number heights.  I'll add batting, but that's it.  I cut boxing so that the finished boxing is 1/2-3/4" less than the finished height of the foam.  I use a 1/2" seam allowance, and will occasionally use a 3/8" seam allowance.