Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 04:23:58 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

The Economy

Started by Mojo, June 08, 2014, 05:46:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I have read where the economy is picking up, peoples 401K's are doing well ( which 90 % of my business is with retiree's ), employment numbers are picking up steam, etc.

We have seen steady growth this year with no ups and downs like in years past. One change I have seen which tells me consumers are having more confidence in the economy is that people are buying new toppers instead of trying to get by for another year. They are also buying full sets and having companion awnings made as well versus replacing everything piece meal. In other words our sales have increased but so has the size of each order. Last year the growth was nuts and off the chart. About 60 %. This year we are not experiencing anywhere near that type of growth but we are growing, just at a slower rate. Unless I can pull a rabbit out of my hat this year ( or next ) I do not think we can ever match last years boom in sales.

Are you seeing any increases in sales ? Are customers spending more on their orders ? How are your numbers this year as compared to last ?

Just wondering how everyone is doing.

Chris

sofadoc

In the furniture biz, when I'm giving estimates I often hit 'em with a big number half expecting they'll get discouraged and say "Never mind".

And for the most part, that's what they've always done.

But lately, more and more are saying "OK.........do it".

I'm hearing less and less of "I CAN BUY A NEW COUCH CHEAPER THAN THAT!!"

Of course, they still CAN buy a new one cheaper. But I think people are growing increasingly tired of cheap disposable furniture. Probably not because they're getting smarter, they just got more money.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

June 08, 2014, 06:15:33 pm #2 Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 06:21:45 pm by kodydog
Picked up two good jobs last week. The phone is ringing. I'm doing good Chris.

Just posted this on facebook.

Why reupholster?
1. Saves money. If you have a high quality Sofa, $700 to $1000 to have it reupholstered is a bargain.
2. Saves time. Scouring furniture stores looking for that perfect piece can take weeks or months. You already have the perfect piece sitting right there in your living room. And the Upholsterer will pick it up and deliver it. How easy is that?
3. Custom decorating. Furniture stores have a limited amount of choices. If they don't have the right sofa with the right fabric your out of luck. Fabric stores have an unlimited amount of styles to choose from.
4. It's "green" to reupholster. Landfills are full of discarded furniture. New furniture requires a lot of resources to produce. New furniture takes up to 2 years to off gas toxic fumes.
5. Reupholstering keeps your money in the local economy. It puts a local craftsman to work and keeps a local business going.

We are working on a business FB page.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Good start Kody,

I've also seen what Sofa speaks of. Many customers come in and when given a fair price have said that exactly. This year and part of last this seems to be changing. More and more will say OK lets do it. It has always seemed to me trough the 40+ years of doing this that cheap is not really what a customer wants. It is easy, good and honest. So lets hope were all not setting our sights to high and it continues to grow. And people understand some of what Kody is saying.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

I cant say its better, about the same. I have gotten a number of wasted quote appointment's but the work keeps coming even with me trying to slow down I like sofas method, just last week with that 800 job I walk away on the guy not taking he may have been playing to get me to go down vut I saud wekk ket me kow if you want to do it , he may call back .

bobbin

I'm busy, too.  But the spring crush is the norm for marine work in New England, so I'm not sure exactly what I'm witnessing. 

Excellent selling points, Kody., I think many people don't put much thought into furniture until it begins to fail/look shoddy.  But I do think more and more people are increasingly aware of the "throwaway mentality" and the senselessness of plugging up landfills with so much stuff.  This reminds me of the case for reworking nice clothing.  Change the hemline, taper the slacks, cut down the lapels... properly done no one will ever know, you'll have a new suit for less that a new one, and it will be of nice quality goods that you already like!

SteveA

Last year was 20 % better than the year before. From the increase last year I've been able to catch up on bills, fill the cabinets with materials, and replace some older tools.  This year so far seems exactly in line with last year but expenses are up so - no gain.  Only positive is my health care premium ( the exchange) is half what I was paying in the open market.  Hopefully deductibles and limitations don't spoil the low premium euphoria !  One benefit I do notice with this stock market is customers pay right away - no waiting.
SA