Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:27:45 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

My Sons VW BUS

Started by BlueFlamingo, June 04, 2014, 11:59:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueFlamingo

June 04, 2014, 11:59:55 am Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 12:10:47 pm by BlueFlamingo
2 years ago I restored a 1961 Lonestar Boat.  Being a COB I decided to teach myself to do Upholstery and save the quoted $1,800 costs.  I did a decent job, far from perfect, learned a lot using an Old Morse Home Machine so my son asked me to attempt to upholster his VW Bus.  

Again,  Being a COB, we used Donor Couch Foam from Craigslist for the cushions but over all I think it all came out pretty good.  What do you all think.  I bought  a Tacsew 20U Zig Zag that I  restored for $200.

BlueFlamingo

So then, my Daughter had to get in the Act.  She found this chair at a Thrift store

for $30 bucks and wanted to know if I would help her re-upholster it.  I told her that was totally different than doing boats and cars but...You KNOW how Fathers are with their little girls soooo... we started...

I didn't have a clue what I was getting into.  I found some videos on line on how to recover a wing back chair.  She did not want to keep the flop down cushions on the back so we modified it to a single cushion and again used foam from a donor Couch from craigslist.  The final product came out fairly well.

kodydog

Nice bus. I often thought it would be cool to fix up a vintage van like that to make pick-ups and deliveries. Something customers would not soon forget.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike

nice classic boat where are you  BF?

BlueFlamingo

June 08, 2014, 04:50:37 pm #4 Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 06:37:15 pm by BlueFlamingo
Mike,

I'm in Broken Arrow, OK. I've been admiring your work and learning a LOT from your pics and posts.  I hope to learn a lot more as I continue to peruse the forum.  I hope to be able to pic your brain as needed when I get more projects to do.  I will be retiring in a couple of years and plan to try to do more upholstery work then.  I really enjoy it and would like to learn more about it.  I now have an old Rex 11-155R Walking Foot and it really is nice.  If you read this would you have any idea why the REX works fine with #56 Thread but with #138 When I adjust the bobbin and the upper tension to accomodate the  heavier thread it makes loops on the bottom and shreds the thred and when I try to reverse it breaks.  It sews a beautiful stitch with the #56 thread.  I took it to a pro repair shop for a tune up and they adjusted it and replaced the upper beehive tension spring to get it to work perfectly with the #56.  I've toyed with the Bobbin and the upper tension with no luck.  You got any Tips/Tricks of the trade that might help???