Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 09:30:18 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sad Volkswagon Tale

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, June 02, 2014, 07:59:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

I had a gentleman from Silver Creek Ne contact me some time ago concerning replacing the headliner and convertible top on his '78 Super Beetle.  Not something I've done before, but frankly I've never done most of the stuff that I've completed.  Rarely do I have a project identical or even similar to most of my previous jobs.  I read, ask questions, look at the old and "soldier" my way through it.

I did talk to my neighbor about it as I had sewn a replacement top for his Celica and had mostly watched him attach it to his car.  He thought I wouldn't have too much of an issue with it so I agreed to do it.

Frank delivered the car to me about a week and a half ago and I was more than a little dismayed that he had already removed the old top (so much for taking good pictures throughout the tear-out process.  Still I was ok as I had googled VW tops and seemed like the vendors either sent you directions or had a website that you could go to for any issues. 

So I start rooting around and discover that there are no directions and the guy he purchased it from didn't mention anything about installation issues.  First thing I did was to lay the new top on top of the old top and it was as close to identical as it could be.  Took a couple of days to get the headliner torn out as there were a million (it seemed) staples attaching it to the bows and rear window frame.  Once I got it removed I laid the new headliner on the bows and much to my consternation I discovered that he had been sent a headliner for a hardtop VW.  Will not work.  My first step was to call the vendor as I still had the shipping box.  All I got was his answering machine so I left a message and called my customer.  He told me that the gentleman was undergoing chemo and very sick so he had reduced his hours.  He also said to call him again.  I left another message and called customer back.  That afternoon my customer called me back with the wonderful news that the vendor had died the day before.  Now customer is stuck with a headliner for the wrong vehicle.

He said he had a friend that would find him one but called me back Thursday and said his friend could not "find one" and that the upholsterer should either make him a new headliner or modify the incorrect one.  Either option seems pricey to me when you add material and labor hours and still the possibility that it won't be a good fit since existing headliner is in very rough condition.  At any rate, I googled VW headliners and found a place that sells headliners only.  I've got a call into customer to make sure that he's ok with buying a new one.  This place also sends an installation DVD with the headliner (FABULOUS) so then I would only need to find some reasonable installation instructions for the new top.

What a long strange trip this project is turning into!  : )

Virginia

Virgs Sew n Sew

Frank (owner) finally called me back yesterday and agreed that purchasing the correct headliner was the best option.  I ordered one late yesterday afternoon.  Hopefully this weekend I will get at least the headliner installed.

Worst part of this whole deal for me is that for obvious reasons we have the bug in our garage.  We are smack in the middle of predicted 4 inch size hail/possible tornadoes this afternoon.  Hubby has a 40th anniversary vet that is sitting in the drive, next to my company vehicle.  We do have a carwash about half a block away so my plan is for us to make a mad dash for the bays with our vehicles should the hail materialize.  Best outcome would be for a nice soaking rain with no hail and definitely no tornadoes.  To make people even more anxious about the weather, today is the 34th anniversary of a supercell that produced 7 tornadoes, killing 5 people.  To say folks are on edge today is an understatement!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quick update:

Car is progressing, more slowly than I would like.  Received the correct headliner and will hopefully start installing it later this week.  This morning I had the fun of cleaning the old adhesive off the front bow and the two tubular bows.  Will sand the remaining gunk off in the morning when it is relatively cool, do a little clean-up and then it's off to the races.

I was able to borrow an installation booklet from a gentleman that is an absolute lifesaver.  Learning bunches and bunches about VW's and their inner workings!

Have also been hit with a ton of boat cushion jobs as well as working on a pontoon cover that was screwed up at the factory.  That will definitely test my skills.

We're about 75 miles from the twin tornadoes that hit Pilger NE last night.  Scary stuff!  So stay cool and safe everyone!

Mike

Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on June 17, 2014, 11:52:55 am
stay cool  everyone!

that  hard to do here , when I first got to florida I was greeted with a direct hit from a hurricane , I know scarry stuff

kodydog

Sorry to hear about the folks in Pilger.

One year after we set up shop in Charleston SC hurricane Hugo blew through. It ripped the metal roof off our rented shop. At first we were very disheartened. But the landlord got busy and had us back in business within 3 months. After that the phone started ringing off the hook. We soon had a 6 month backlog and never looked back.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

mike802

Sounds like you are doing a lot of leg work for this VW customer, that you are probably not getting paid for.  I used to do it also, but I decided long ago it was very unprofitable. I cant research all the different fabrics used in all the different classic cars, I now tell the customer if they want something different than what I have samples for they will have to do the research. I wouldn't call the vendor of C O M either, I would have told the customer to come pick up the car and let me know when they have all the right materials and we could reschedule. That bay could be used for your boat work, bikes, furniture, whatever, but sitting with a stalled project is just costing you money.  I know it sounds like poor customer service, but he bought the materials elsewhere so he is not your customer in this respect.  Sorry to be such a pail of cold water, but where I live time are getting tough, real tough and my time is very valuable.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Virgs Sew n Sew

Mike:

I completely understand what you are saying.  I've been getting at least one call for new jobs every day this week, Wed three.  I think I've got jobs booked to keep me busy through the summer now.

I like the old dude whose VW it is.  Also, kind of feel sorry because of the wrong headliner being shipped and that vendor's dying before it could be resolved.  Hopefully I have everything I need now so I hope to get it done quick and get my garage back.  Definitely will think long and hard before accepting another of these jobs I think.

BTW, I am charging him for my time in locating materials as the deal was that he had all parts I needed.  It has definitely taken me away from other projects that I could have worked on while I was running down parts for the job.

Try and stay cool today.  Going to be a hot one I think!

Virginia

raindodger

Don't know if it will help you or not, but check out www.thesamba.com  probably the easiest place to find vw parts and get vw questions answered (huge forum with a lot of diehard VW guys). 

Virgs Sew n Sew

Raindodger:

Yup, I registered there and one gentleman in particular has been extremely helpful.  Sent me a manual that he received when he purchased his headliner/top combo which is saving my life.  I've since ordered some parts from the gentleman who put the manual together and he very kindly agreed to answer questions to get me through this project. 

Finally have the headliner installed.  Had to order new insulation and will start installing that Monday.  Talked to Chuck (manual guy) Friday about back window issues and he agreed that gasket and one other piece need to be replaced so ordered them from him.  Should be the last of the new parts I need and should receive them by the end of the week.  I just keep creeping along at a snail's pace but this is way out of my comfort zone. 

Good news is that headliner looks great and I know that it is put in correctly as it passed the open/shut the top test.  If put in without enough slack at the back wooden bow, you will tear the headliner.  I have enough slack not to tear it and no excess so that it is taut when it should be.  A big YAEH on that one for sure.  I should start installing the top by week's end.  Once top is on and wrinkles worked out, that is where I get real flakey as the manual starts talking about parts that I have zero clue what they are.  Probably another phone call with Chuck on that one.  Also, my neighbor across the street installed a new top on his Celica and said he would give me clues if I need him to.  One way or another, I'll get through.  Probably goes on my list of "never again" projects.  LOL.

Virginia