Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 12:49:21 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

cigarette boat upholstery style

Started by Judy_Boat, May 28, 2014, 07:03:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy_Boat

I am doing the exterior upholstery for a 21' cigarette style boat. Owner is doing it up for resale so no major budget. The previous job is not factory original. Colours will stay light grey, dark grey, and black.
I would like to jazz the new seat styles up a little, the existing lines seem too rectangular for this style boat. Below is sketched what I think could be done without really increasing the labour involved.
[/URL]
Insert black carbonfiber vinyl in the dark sections on the captains chair and the rear bench seat maybe? Would that look weird if the sun bed portion is plain grey vinyl.
At least I need to curve the seams and round off the top of the headrest. It just looks clunky to me.

Google searches are not turning up many ideas, any suggestions? I could not find an interior
shot of a smaller cigarette boat seating.

Mike

if I wanted to spice it up maybe  something like this if not in the budget for tuck n roll maybe quilted vinyl and stripes id stripe the sunpad to

JuneC

In the winter boat shows in Florida a LOT of the new high-end performance boats had diamond quilted inserts on the seats like this MTI, many in carbon fiber. 

http://marinetechnologyinc.com/wp-content/gallery/2012-skater/dsc00893.jpg

Don't know if that's within your time frame or budget.  It's also showing up on new center console fishing boats.  These are going to be real fun in a few years for us upholsterers.  We're going to be swimming in work.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

are those diamond's sewn or heat pleated june?

Grebo

Quote from: JuneC on May 29, 2014, 06:12:52 pm
In the winter boat shows in Florida a LOT of the new high-end performance boats had diamond quilted inserts on the seats like this MTI, many in carbon fiber. 

http://marinetechnologyinc.com/wp-content/gallery/2012-skater/dsc00893.jpg

Don't know if that's within your time frame or budget.  It's also showing up on new center console fishing boats.  These are going to be real fun in a few years for us upholsterers.  We're going to be swimming in work.

June

Blimey, full circle..  Our 1960's motorsailer was fitted out with those diamonds from new, brown I think it was.

Suzi

JuneC

They're sewn in.  And they were on MANY makes/models - from HydraSports to Statement Marine. 

Check out the upholstery in this virtual tour of the newest Hydrasports.

http://vt.prestigevision.com/hydrasports-custom/ma1347/embed.html

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

May 30, 2014, 07:40:48 am #6 Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 05:07:38 pm by Mike
Boy thats nothing id want n t a fishing boat aT least heat pleated you can get in there with bleach. Real stitching eould be s real mess

fragged8

nothing new under the sun but wow those seats look awesome June ..

MinUph

For some reason I don't think they do a lot of fishing in that boat.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Judy_Boat

i checked out the links, nice upholstery.
I do not think the customer will spring for tuck n roll or nice diamond quilted vinyl. Not when the boat is being cleaned up for sale.
My main problem is that I have no picture of the whole boat just isolated seats sitting in the basement. Makes it a bit hard to change up lines.
I will try some suggestions at least I have pic's to start with.