Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 08:24:27 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Dinette Chair Question

Started by Mojo, May 11, 2014, 04:56:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I have three fully upholstered dinning room chairs in the coach that need to be recovered.
My question is there a better way to construct the bottoms as these springs hurt my fat rear end.
Every time I sit down on them I can feel the Z springs ( or whatever they are called ).

I have looked at just buying new ones and chucking these as the price for these type chairs are cheap.

I would love to try and recover them myself but do not have the time. If we keep them I may have to drop hem off to you Paul and pay you to recover them. I have the material just do not have the expertise in furniture nor the time.

Are the vast majority of these type chairs made with these springs ? I hate those things.

Chris

MinUph

Chris,
  Springs are generally a good thing. There could be a few reasons your "feeling them". Ziggers should be stabilized in some way but factories skip this now. You can use spring twine to tie the off. This doesn't allow them to separate when sat on an allowing the filling to go in between the springs. Also there should be burlap or some strong top fabric over the springs. Again keeping the fill (foam) etc. from going in between the springs. It could also be the foam is shot from use.
  To eliminate them you could use webbing. Either elastic type or solid. And a good 2-3" of foam. This will feel firmer but won't sag and you won't feel springs.
  Let me know if I can help.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

I may just drop them off to you Paul with the fabric and new foam. I also need to get together with you on that cigar chair that is still not recovered. :)

I would love to be able to do the work myself and learn how to do it but just can never get the time.
I may throw a chair in the car and bring it over for you to look at and you can tell me what you think.

Chris

MinUph

Thats fine Chris,
Saturday mornings or evenings work for me.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

I will set up a time with you when I get back home from TN. Probably next week.

Thanks,

Chris

SteveA

I had a customer who had the same complaint about the springs in a chair seat.  When I looked underneath I could see 4 zig zag springs. I took out one spring, moved the others to balance, and the feel was a lot softer.
SA