Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:49:44 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

'New' style sunpads.

Started by Grebo, May 07, 2014, 01:25:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

Has any body seem these sunpads in the flesh ?

Customer is having his boat refurbished & likes the look of these, he calls them planks.
Looks like the 'planks' are pretty deep any suggestions on how to make them up ?

Suzi

scott_san_diego

Never seen them before.  Interesting design.  But they will be dirt and debris collectors for sure, between each of the "planks".
Would think you would have to sew the top pieces as a separate cushions and then attach them together with the bottom fabric.

JuneC

I haven't seen them either.  I'm with Scott on these as major dirt collectors.  A fabric "hinge" could hold them together and they'd probably roll up nicely for storage, but what a pain to construct. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Grebo

That's the first thing I said, dirt traps. But he still wants them.
Might have to knock up a couple of trial pieces to see how it works out.

Suzi

JuneC

May 08, 2014, 07:41:54 pm #4 Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:54:04 pm by JuneC
Has your customer seen them up close?  I thought those photos looked like a Lazzara but I think they're a Sunseeker Predator.  Check out the photos of the sunpad towards the bottom of this page.  Not all like I was thinking.  

http://www.lucidyacht.com/2010-sunseeker-84-for-sale

Your photos look VERY similar to the Predator line on the Sunseeker website, but the sunpads are thick, covered in fabric, not vinyl, and appear to have a quilted surface, not sections as I was imagining.  

Here's another ad for one with a close up shot of the bow sunpad.  It's not as thick, but appears to be similarly designed.  It's as if the foam has channels carved and the fabric is fastened in the bottom of the channels with adhesive.  You can see in the photo that the cut doesn't go all the way through. 

http://www.sunseekerbrokerage.com/sunseeker-predator-60-4419484/

The problem with separate cushions joined with a fabric hinge is maintaining a consistent distance between cushions after installation.  I have to believe this look is achieved with carved foam.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Grebo

May 09, 2014, 01:39:05 am #5 Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 05:53:25 am by Grebo
Yes it is Sunseeker, customer has a portofino 53 which has purchased with no sunpads. No I don't believe he's seem them up close, just in a brochure.

Thanks for the extra photo's I hadn't seem those.
Yes now they look more like a large quilting & not separate as before.
Maybe I could make them up like a overgrown fluting. ( tuck n roll )

Thanks June, that's a great help.

Suzi

Grebo

Customer has agreed to the tuck & roll, just got to do it now  :-)

Suzi

fragged8

hey Suzi, I have a customer wanting a sun pad but there are some UFO style vents on the deck do you go around them or over them ?

Grebo

Depends where they are Rich, on a hatch, go around. In the deck probably straight over the top.

Suzi

fragged8

over the top it is then , thanks  8)