Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 06:56:07 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Outdoor cushions

Started by sofadoc, April 20, 2014, 12:06:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I've done a lot of them over the years. But not as many as you might think. Usually a few sets every spring. Then a few more trickle in during the summer.

Since most people buy cheap patio sets at Wally World, they fall over backwards when I quote them a price that greatly exceeds what they paid for them originally. Most of the time, they opt to just sit their old set out by the curb (table, chairs, umbrella, and all) and buy new.

This spring has been different though. I've already done about 20 large patio cushion jobs, and several more smaller ones. It's really been a Godsend, since I injured my finger a couple of weeks ago, and am really not ready to start toting big sofas again yet. I still can't do much of anything that requires a firm grasp with my left hand (no jokes, Chris  ;)).

I wonder if people are finally starting to realize that the cheap patio sets are usually only good for 1 season? It may be a sign of improving economic times when customers start spending a little more for better long-term service.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

I see a super bowl commercial - less the hand part of course - trying to dis-remember that before the diner guests arrive

Mike

good news sofa.  I havnt done a paid set of cushions for a few years.

Mojo

Dennis:

I would never make fun of a person who was just injured. ( I will wait till you heal up and then start the jokes )..........:)

We just had out 5th annual " Ridge Runners " BBQ last night with a group of my former football players who were also my wife's math students. We nearly ran out of outdoor chairs. Thankfully the wife had recovered 4 cushions.

I took 6 cushions from another outdoor set we have and treated those with 303 fabric guard to try and get an extra year or two. We will recover those as well when the time comes as the cushions are of very good quality.

Amazing to think that we have three complete outdoor sets ( table and chairs/cushions and side tables ). One set is for the pool area, one for the patio and the other for the patio next to the coach site. Amazingly we inherited all three sets from friends who were moving and didn't or couldn't take them. We seem to be a dumping ground for outdoor furniture. Two of those sets were very nice, good quality and fairly new. :)

Same holds true for PVC privacy fencing. When friends would leave the RV Resort by us they would take down their privacy fence and drop it at our house. We have close to 100 ft of privacy fencing panels, posts and hardware. These things are expensive as heck. I am grateful to them all for treating me like their own Salvation Army. :)

I am curious. What fabric are you using for the outdoor cushions ?

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on April 20, 2014, 02:07:16 pm
I am curious. What fabric are you using for the outdoor cushions ?
Different sources. Quite a bit of it is COM. Which is fine with me, because I don't have to guarantee it.

Here is a pic of a large patio cushion job that I did last year. The fabric laying over the top of the cushion shows how much it faded in just 3 months:

The customer left them outside 24/7 during May, June, and July. The fabric is only rated to resist fading for 1000 daylight hours (which is about 3 months). Even the more expensive Sunbrella is only rated for 3000 hours.

Charlotte Fabrics reimbursed me $1000 for the job, but I had to eat the labor.

My new policy is: Outdoor fabric purchased through me carries NO implied warranty against fading. I strongly suggest that they bring them in after each use, or have a covered patio.

bobbin

I get shot down a lot when I quote recovers for cheapie patio furniture.  I know from experience how long it takes to do the job, I know how fussy people can be, and rather than torture myself I tend to stick to my guns on my price.  But, every so often I am asked to make cushions for a nice, vintage set and I love doing those. 

I don't care about selling fabric (for reasons we've discussed before), but if I don't sell it, I don't guarantee anything except the workmanship. 

Good to hear you've been busy with lighter work, Sofa.; I was thinking about your wounded "fingy" the other day. 

Darren Henry

Quotesince I injured my finger a couple of weeks ago, and am really not ready to start toting big sofas again yet.

I've been out of the loop for a couple of weeks with 'puter issues. How is that coming along?? Well I hope.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

Quote from: Darren Henry on April 25, 2014, 04:19:45 pm
Quotesince I injured my finger a couple of weeks ago, and am really not ready to start toting big sofas again yet.

I've been out of the loop for a couple of weeks with 'puter issues. How is that coming along?? Well I hope.
I still can't completely clench a fist with my left hand. The pinkie finger just won't bend all the way inward like it used to, and may never again without corrective surgery. I may always hampered on jobs that require gripping and stretching with my left hand.

But at least I still have my stunning good looks.

Darren Henry

Give it time. We don't mend as quick any more. I'm still seeing improvement in that ankle I broke a year and a half ago.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Hope your recovery continues to progress.  Just don't push things if you can avoid it!

I'm also working on a sew of outdoor cushions.  They are for a contractor and he built the frames.  Someone else had originally been contracted for the cushions originally.  That individual did all the measurements, cut the foam and actually had sewn 2 of the 6 cushions.  Don't know why they quit working on the project but they did.  Contractor was working on a job a block up from me and saw my yard sign and called me.  All I have left are the ties which I hope to finish and get attached this week.

I don't think in the long term that he will be pleased.  He picked up this fabric from Hobby Lobby.  I don't think it's rated for outdoor usage.  It's been a tad frustrating to work with as it wants to ravel and pull apart at the stitching when the cushions are put in.  Doesn't matter how you put them in.  Any stress and it starts pulling.  I've been using a ton of fray block and hopefully that will work until the weather takes it toll on the cushions.

Virginia
Virg's Sew n Sew

sofadoc

Virginia:

I see a lot of contractors who spare no expense when they design and fabricate with building materials. BUT when it comes to cushioning, they suddenly turn cheap and run to places like Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's, where they buy inappropriate fabric.

That's probably why the last guy bailed on the job. Good luck finishing it up. On jobs like that, I don't sweat it. I just do the work and collect my pay. I don't lose any sleep knowing they aren't going to last.

The outdoor cushion jobs continue to roll in around here. This has been the biggest year for them that I can ever remember.

Virgs Sew n Sew

Just wanted to let you know that I delivered the outdoor cushions last week.  Customer was over the moon when he saw them.  I thought they were ok but not my best work, due to the fabric being cheap crap and his wanting modifications after they were essentially done.  Anyway, paid what I thought was a reasonable price without blinking an eye. 

Unfortunately, there was some leftover fabric and so he gave me another project to use the remaining fabric.  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.  So, I filled my car with the cushions and now have my thinking cap on trying to figure out what I need to do on this project.  Probably will start a thread to get some ideas if I don't come up with something in a day or so.

Thanks for your encouragement!

Virginia

sofadoc

Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on June 02, 2014, 07:46:42 am
Unfortunately, there was some leftover fabric and so he gave me another project to use the remaining fabric.  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
I have some regular customers who always come up with some annoying little project in order to use up any leftover material.

With those customers, I just make sure that there aren't any leftovers.  ;)

kodydog

June 03, 2014, 08:19:59 pm #13 Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 08:23:22 pm by kodydog
Just finished these groovy cushions for a wicker set

What always worries me is we usually don't have the piece to fit the cushions when done. Just follow the old pattern and hope it all fits. She called later and said they look great.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

Those look terrific, Kody.   The fabric is definitely "groovy" (I like it).