Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 05:24:55 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Shop Update

Started by Mojo, March 26, 2014, 07:44:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I talked about building a new shop but my conservative ways got to me. I am going to expand my current shop instead, ( blow out a wall and extend my shop into the garage). The movers came the other day and all my woodworking machines are now in storage. I hated to see them head off like that but I never get the time to go play with wood in the garage anymore.

I wanted to build a new shop but am getting cautious in my old age. I have to many doubt's that made me pull back from a huge expenditure - future business in regards to growth, the need for a new vehicle, new windows for the house, etc. There is only so much money in the well.

But I believe we are closer now to hiring a part timer to help in the shop. I just ordered a new twin needle so I will have two of those to speed production. I am keeping my Juki 563 and Chandler and will dedicate those to top stitching awnings and the other strictly for binding. The boss and I talked last night and at the moment I can keep a part timer busy sewing and cutting. On the slow days I can have them keep us caught up on paperwork and other office duties. This is a huge step for me but I have come to the realization I can no longer handle this business alone.

In regards to the shop I am adding a new cutting table 8 x 16 ft with two cut outs for two machines, one heading in one direction and the other heading in the other direction. The Juki and Chandler will be on stands that have casters and can be moved in and out of one of the machine cut outs. The twin needle will be stationary.

The table I will make out of 2 x 4's and use the malomite plywood for the top. I really like that formica like surface. Under the table will be shelves for storage.

Other then that the shop wont have any modifications except more storage. I am not going to get fancy with it. It is basically an empty garage but when connected to my current shop will make it 32 ft long x 22 ft. I am currently sewing in a 12 x 20 shop.

If anyone has any ideas on what to add to the shop let me know. Mike sent me some pictures which helped and I am using part of his table design as well. I have all the equipment I need but am looking for ideas on the table and anything else someone might think of that would be a good addition to the shop. Thanks everyone.

Chris

Mike

My space is about 22x40. But take out a bath office and storage we welill be a out the same
Are tou opening. Wall of the garage ? To make it o e open spa e with the work shop

mike802

Chris:  I don't have any recommendations for you, but congratulations!  I sure wish I was in you shoes, I would love to add on to my shop. Having the business in the garage means no place for the cars and your personal stuff gets all mixed in with the business stuff, it sure can get frustrating.  I did get the opportunity to buy a piece of property recently, very distressed and small, but it is the first business only property actually owned by the business.  I am currently using it for storage with future plans for lumber storage and maybe a photography studio, but additional production room is still badly needed.  Good luck with the addition, how about posting pictures as you work progresses?
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

bobbin

Your shop is about the same size as mine (28x36).  It's on the second floor of the barn (2 garage bays and a small work shop below).  It's kind of a pain when I have to move a lot of foam or big cushions around and I don't generally bring pcs. of furniture to my shop to slipcover them.  If I have to, I can work on big/dirty stuff in my garage bay, by putting pcs. on horses. 

Pay attention to good lighting.  I choked at the price, but I'm really pleased with it (no shadows).  It was money well spent even though it sucked installing all 27 of those bad boys.   

I think the smartest thing I did was put my 5 tables on casters (2 locking casters on each).  2 of my tables (4x8 melamine) have extension leaves (24"x8') with flip down legs.  I do a variety of things that require "real estate" and the tabling has been a real luxury. I have under table storage, too.   And it's not torture to keep the place clean.  I also  bought a fabric unwinding cart (on wheels).  I can put 8 heavy rolls of fabric on it, and I store foam on top of it and on the base (it needs casters, the wheels are hard to manoeuver in  tight quarters).  I also have a wall rack for smaller rolls of fabric. 

Put some electrical outlets in the ceiling if you can.  I have a nice track that will keep extension cords and the compressor hose up out of my way.  I have a PVC air line on the ceiling, too.  I love it.  The compressor is pretty loud and having it under my workbench in the garage bay minimizes the racket it makes. 

I really like working in my shop; it's cheerful, efficient, and cozy with the wood stove cooking along.  It's the first time I've had all my cool stuff in one place and it's really great.  Congrats!

Mike

March 26, 2014, 01:31:00 pm #4 Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 01:34:36 pm by Mike
Quote from: Mojo on March 26, 2014, 07:44:54 am
I am currently sewing in a 12 x 20 shop.

Chris
that's the size of my shop at home now my garden shed for my lawn tractor and shovels ect but later ill move bak in when im semi retired

JuneC

I assume your existing shop is off your home?  Might want to give consideration to space for a bathroom and a small fridge if you'll be having an employee.  It might be awkward having them use the facilities in your home.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

MinUph

Wouldn't it be nice if your single needle and double needle machine were setup, in the table, in a way that the work wouldn't need to picked up and moved.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

March 27, 2014, 05:59:20 am #7 Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 06:02:51 am by Mojo
Bobbin:

Your mention of a fabric rack got me thinking.....and googling.....One of these would be awesome to have in the shop.

http://www.fibreglast.com/product/Four_Roll_Fabric_Rack_02214_A/Fabric_Racks_Work_Stations

You have now peeked my curiosity. What type of fabric rack do you have and where did you get it ?

I thought of making one out of wood but question how well it would hold up to multiple full rolls of fabric. Each full roll weighs a ton. Those things are heavy as heck. But it would be nice to load them onto a rack like this and then peel off what I need. Right now I have to pick the roll up, lay it on the table, unroll what I need and then remove it from the table, stand it up and place it back in the corner.

Chris

sofadoc

Chris:
You mentioned having 2 sewing machines on opposite ends of your cutting table. That was my set-up during the years that the family business had multiple employees.

But since I have basically worked alone for the last 15 or more years, I prefer the fabric rack on one end instead of a second sewing machine.

How would you incorporate 2 machines and a rack built around the same table?

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

The rack I envisioned in my mind was on wheels where I could wheel it into place and unroll the fabric off of and then roll it back against the wall.

I am curious Dennis, how did that double table/machine setup work for you guys ?

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on March 27, 2014, 06:52:29 am
I am curious Dennis, how did that double table/machine setup work for you guys ?
It worked pretty well. It would've worked even better if the table wasn't next to a wall on 1 side. So 1 of the machines had limited free space to the left. If you have access on both sides, I think you'll like that set-up.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

March 27, 2014, 07:42:59 am #11 Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 07:50:48 am by bobbin
Here are two "piece goods unwinding carts".  Mine came from Universal.  I bought the 72" model.  I added luon shelves on the top and the bottom to store foam.

1.)  https://www.universalsewing.com/tek9.asp?pg=search&mode=results&searchby=Products&srch=&usssearchby=type&usscriteria=169.2921

2.)  http://www.tedthorsen.com/itemgroup.aspx?category_id=451

These carts come with 2 casters and 2 wheels, 8 bars for fabric (you can add more purchased by the piece), and a crappy foot brake.  They're hard to manoeuver in tight quarters, so be prepared to either match the caster height and replace the 2 wheels with locking casters or replace all 4 to get the proper size (I still haven't done this and swear I will every time I try to reposition the thing!).

Unwinding carts are a staple in any manufacturing facility.  Usually they're used to transport goods to the cutting table where the goods are transferred to the spreader, but for our purposes they easily serve as storage and spreader.  Wonderful tool, but do consider reconfiguring the casters/wheel set up before you load 'er up and begin struggling to move it around!

Mojo

Thanks Bobbin:

I believe you just cost me some money. I love that idea of the cloth truck. When the boss comes and wants to know about this expenditure I can blame you. :)

Before I order one I am going to print the picture off and take it to a local fabrication shop. I would like to see what they would charge to make one. If they are close in price I will have them make it. We have been hit hard here ( economy ) and I try and keep my buying local whenever possible.

What is a shame is my brother is one of the best fabricators I have ever seen and one of the greatest welders I have known. Unfortunately he has retired, closed his shop and sold off his equipment.

I will keep you posted on how this comes out. I think it is an awesome idea. Chances are the worker we hire will be a young girl that we know and lifting these rolls could hurt her. I just checked the weight on a full roll of Sattler - 52 lbs.

Thanks again for the tip ma'am.

Chris

bobbin

March 27, 2014, 09:24:14 am #13 Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 09:26:47 am by bobbin
Pay attention to my comments on the casters!  Trust me on this:  the set up as shown SUCKS if you want to move it around easily.  Very important!

Mike

I used to have a table with 2 maching I hated it 2 people didn't have room to be sewing to large normal size boat covers 15 feet long 2 passes wide if it is just one that was fine as you had the whole table. for my roll storage it always just for left over end of rolls stuff no full rolls.

my new rolls when working I have a roll holder at the end of my table and can sew off the roll making covers