Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 04:12:10 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Chairs ?? Stools ? Benches ??

Started by Mojo, March 25, 2014, 07:37:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Just wondering what most of you are using for seating at your sewing machine.

I have been using a swivel office chair without arms for years but was wondering if anyone
is using something different and if they like it.

I am in the process of building a double sewing table so I can sew from both ends. I had this
hair brain idea of putting in a stationary bench with homemade cushions.

Any input or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks ya'll.

Chris

chrisberry12

I have always used an office chair with arms, I like to take a break every so often so I just sit back arms rested and think about all the work I have to get done. I would love to extend my sewing table out and around me but I just do not have the room right now. If I have to I just turn my machine around and but it up to the cutting table, works just fine. My sewing table is also my desk, I just pull up my laptop or IPad and do my paperwork. I would never be able to sit in a stationary seat, that would drive me insane. I like to be able to move. I also have a serger right next to my Consew and it is so cool and fast to just zip over to the serger and back rather then get up out of the stationary set up. Everyone is different so really all that matters is what is best for you. Good Luck and Happy sewing!

bobslost

I use a office chair without arms . However the best sewing chair I had was a 1950s Steelcase secretarial chair that still had the original green vinyl on it with a felt seat. My wife convinced me a few years back to get rid of it and buy something newer and better looking. I wish I still had that chair ,I been looking for another with no luck.

bobbin

I prefer the fully adjustable metal "shop chairs".  I can adjust them to accommodate my bench height, they're light and easy to move, and they're inexpensive.  I find them quite comfortable, actually.  I have 4 and will likely add a couple more when I figure out how I want to use the 3 other machines I rarely use. 

MinUph

I sewed on a old wooden kitchen chair for 30 years. I've tried many office type chairs and none are as good. I like having a back to lean back on on occasion. Arms are an option as long as they don't get in the way. Now a days I don't sit and sew for hours anymore so most anything works.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

I will probably go with the office chair. I picked one up at Office Depot a couple years ago and it has been a good chair. I do like to be able to roll around. :)

Thanks for the input,

Chris

mike802

I use an old office chair without arms and casters that I dug out of a dumpster.  It looks real bad and needs upholstering, but never will be.  The casters got gummed up with thread cut offs and the wheels no longer turn.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

bobbin

Lol about the casters getting all gagged up with thread.  Every shop I worked in the rolling chairs had same issue.   ;D

Darren Henry

I used this armless office chair that I am sitting on when I had my own shop. I have an upholstered kitchen chair [circa 1960's] mounted on the same type of office chair base with no back at the shop. With some of the big stuff I wrestle a back could be a problem if I am buried in it and trying to sew "side saddle". What I like about it is the fact that it is sloped down front-back, and I used some decent foam when I "reclaimed" it. Very comfy.

QuoteThe casters got gummed up with thread cut offs and the wheels no longer turn.

ROFL. I burn off enough of the thread that the chair just rolls. Having lost this much weight I need a little traction when I go to haul something through the machine. I had cleaned them out well just before I broke my heel and had to sew left footed a couple of years ago---too hard to hold my self in place and work with the wrong foot.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!