Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 31, 2024, 10:50:54 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Machine Issue Fixed

Started by Mojo, March 23, 2014, 10:39:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I have been having a problem with my twin needle machine breaking thread on the right hand side.
It seemed to be worse with higher speeds.

I thought it was the foot ( needle / hole clearance ) as the needle was to far back in the hole so I bent the foot back into place. Of course I broke the damn thing the first time and had to order a new one from Bob. I got the needle / hole clearance issue taken care of but it still broke the thread. I couldn't sew 6 ft at high speed without it breaking. I changed the needle and went back over every square millimeter of thread as it ran through then tension and takeup springs and it was fine. I fired it up and ran it and it still broke thread. By now I was PO'ed ( and stumped ).

I studied it and couldn't figure it out. I then threw in some junk fabric and ran a stitch line and watched a section of the thread at a time at low speed. I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary so thought maybe it was a timing issue. Then something caught my eye. As the take up lever was moving upward the thread would loop to the right. Right next to where it was looping was a black screw. BINGO. The thread would loop, get caught on the screw and bang........the thread would break on the take up cycle.

I adjusted the thread guide as it was far right and moved it far left. It worked much better but still would break on long stitch runs and at high speed. So I crafted a plastic shield, removed the offending screw, drilled a hole in the plastic and then screwed it into the machine using the screw I removed.

Problem solved. The thread can no longer catch on the screw head. Who in the hell would have ever thought a little screw could break thread like that. Have any of you ever encountered that ?

I will need to contact Bob and see if there is an adjustment to the thread take up. At this time I am too busy to screw with it. I am in the process of ordering another new twin needle machine and once I get that here I can screw around with the other one.

Overall this twin needle machine I bought last year has been a rock solid performer. Other then this issue it hasn't burped or farted and has been running balls to the wall since I got it. I plan on getting another one identical to this one.

Anyone ever encountered something like this ? It very well could be the Solarfix too as it is stiffer then Poly and will loop in big circles. What is strange is why it started all of a sudden when it hasnt given me any problems since I got it. Weird.

Chris