Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 04:12:48 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Outboard Motor Cover

Started by regalman190, March 18, 2014, 04:49:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

regalman190

Looking for a fabric for engine covers. It needs to match or come as close as possible to matching Sunbrella Cadet Gray. But, the client doesn't want and abrasive underside. So I thought Outdura Trio. It has a soft underside. But, can't find it anywhere. Must have been discontinued.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Regal Canvas

JuneC

For that type of requirement I like Softouch by Odyssey.  It has a fuzzy backing.  Lots of vendors carry it and there's a silver grey that is a hair lighter than Cadet Grey but IMHO, close enough.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

scott_san_diego

What about sewing on a soft sided vinyl under the canvas, on the part that will be touching the motor.  That way the canvas will match the rest of the cover.

Mike

i make my covers form fittted snug no flapping in the wind and have never had a complaint even covers on my motors.

dose mimi not have the trio?

Darren Henry

:o Holy cow Mike,how do you get them that tight with spending ages on darts and pleats etc...,and how do you secure the "hem" at the bottom?

I've always just "blanket" patterned everything including these. PITA
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

Darren I have a seam at every line on the motor that seperates flat planes of canvas.
that was a newer style Yamaha 2009 it had 2 sections making the top to get that curved top a largwe side piece that wrapped around a a lower wrap aroud piece that was c shaped when cut out on the tablel and a zipper center front that closes the cover tight with the anbla bottom section it cant came up until the zipper is opened kinda like a pair of leather driving glove and stick patterning plastic to the top section marking the seam lines then add tape and stick the next piece mark the seams on it thought the clear plastic
( this is where I think paper would be a negative)

to pattern I start with blue painters tape at the the seam line then used 2 sided transfer tape s

Darren Henry

March 19, 2014, 03:21:52 pm #6 Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:49:29 pm by Darren Henry
thanks Mike. I'll have to try that the next time I get one in.I've got some scratched 20 gauge and some cut offs.

I think the the difference between "blanket" patterning and your method is the sharp seam line. I too have seams at each change of plane---but no precise "seam line" on those bubble shaped motors like Yammies and Hondas. Then too the pieces of fabric might slip a titch, and you have no way to make alignment marks.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!