Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 01:28:17 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Acrylic Fabrics

Started by Mojo, February 07, 2014, 06:10:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

99 % of my work is with acrylic fabrics. I have measured, cut and sewn so much acrylic I have nightmares of it in my sleep. :)

I just got a job requiring a color I have never used before - Recacril-beige. It is almost a cream. I learned right away that a clean table is a must. Good Gawd does this fabric show dirt. But I love the hand on it as it cuts, creases and sews beautifully.

I have had great discussions with MiamiMike about acrylics and since he has been inside the factories and seen them make it he is a wealth of knowledge on this subject. What I am always surprised the most about is how each color holds a different hand. I mainly use Sattler and sometimes Recacril and the hand can vary widely between colors.

One color can be stiff and will cut, crease and sew awesome. Another color will have a very soft hand  and can be miserable to work with. I prefer the stiffer hands versus the soft handed fabric.

I have also noticed a difference in how each color can cut differently with a hot knife. Some need to be cut at a slow pace while others cut faster. In theory all Sattler or Recacril acrylics should feel, cut and sew the same but they don't. MiamiMike explained that it was the finish process that produces the difference. While the yarns are the same and the weave the same the finish is what makes the difference in the hand.

I drive Mike insane at times asking questions and I really drive him nuts with my choice or selection
( actually my steadfast demands ) of colors by a certain manufacturer. But I just prefer the Sattler Linen Tweed over Rec Linen Tweed because of the hand and ease of working with it. Same holds true for a few other colors. I love Rec 150 which is a dark gray. It has the perfect hand in my opinion and looks awesome. My customers go crazy over it.

I am sure you furniture and marine guys and gals have your preferences in fabrics all based on ease of working with it.

Ramblings from Florida. Back to work I go,

Chris

Mike

I know outdida marine canvS id made by satler i asimd it is identicle.
It doese have a thicker stiffer ? Feel then sunbrella was but the sunbrella ceels lY like it a out fhe same now.   What to i know. Going to go price another apointment now.

regalman190

I like Recacril a lot. I try to use it as much as possible.

Sunbrella is so inconsistent lately. Typically the 46" has a stiffer hand than 60". I'm working on an enclosure top and using 60" Sunbrella Plus. Normally it has a soft hand, but this batch is so stiff. It's very difficult to work with.

I wish clients would choose Recacril more.
Regal Canvas

Mike

ya I don't use it much either but a few time I get a guy who had a cover that shrunk so bad they had to make those extention snap straps so I suggest recacrill but still I don't see it much