Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:11:24 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

For the Layman: You Can Make Your Own Boat Cover!

Started by jojo, January 02, 2014, 06:08:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

For only about $1500. Now isn't that a bargain? I got this video link in a Sailrite email:

http://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make-a-Power-Boat-Cover-Video#.UsVpCOl3vIU

And it's a pretty good how to video. But realistically, to do your own cover you'd need a sewing machine (cheapest one at Sailrite is $739), thread ($40), Sunbrella (around 14 yards for the boat in this video $350), then your little things like double stick tape, marking utensils, maybe a hot knife, and snaps. Then of course there are other considerations such as time and space. Oh yeah, and learning to sew.

I'm not worried about going out of business because of the DIYer's, are you?

sofadoc

I watched a few minutes. Since I have NO intention of doing a boat cover, I didn't bother to watch the whole thing. But I did see enough to pick up a few tips that I intend to try on the furniture end.

But it struck me more as an instructional video for a professional, not a DIY video for a layman.

I can just see a DIY'er buying all that material and supplies, and then trying to sew it on their wife's little home machine.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

I found it odd she sewed standing,   I don't understand why they had the drawcord in the hem and also installed snaps. just seems not needed for the cord. I never made a snap on cover fit over the rubrail it realy cant be used on a lake where the boat is in a slip rumbbing on a dock post never mid the snap studs tating all the waves and being torn off hitting a dock post. and grommet for the support pole ive seen to many gro,etts push out of the cover I like snap tip poles. it the pole isn't up tight the wind can lift the cover of the pole . with a snap it will lift the pole and set it back down.   I think sailrite may have started with sailboat diyers but that is more difficult them most could handle

MinUph

Mike, I was going to ask you what you thought about the video. I don't make covers but found it odd that they didn't just cut the seam allowance on the pleats. Seemed like more work or is it just in case there was a mistake? I didn't finish the video so I don't know how the fastening to the hull was done.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

When i first started paul small boat cover were my bread and butter not so much like this over the rubrail but a normal cockpit and bow cover. I used to fit the fsbric but never used tape i used the lins to hold the fabric tight to the snaps. And would fold a dart like this and somtimes id put a dan in to hold the dart. Seeing was easy it was already folded just sew it down and it was stonger but now i mostly make a plastic pattern and as you say would just have seam allowances. 
I think the video is good it shows one way  though there are many ways to break an egg

regalman190

I didn't understand using the chord and snaps. I typically would use one or the other. And if the boat already had snap studs on it, that's the way I would have done it.  As Mike said, the full cover isn't really user friendly when docked or on a lift. I would have done a cockpit cover and bow cover.
Also, I didn't understand transferring the dart lines to the underside, sewing that, then flipping it and sewing the outside. I pin my darts on the blanket, then mark it on the table and sew the outside only. I don't see the need to sew the inside of the dart. And, trust me, the tape doesn't really hold Sunbrella. I use the quick fit pins.
Regal Canvas

Mike

One other thing regal. She used strapping tape first then put the tranfer tapr over it ? I learned and alway use blue painters tape it leaves no sticky. At first here in clorida i did t ised the blue tape on a  boat top crame patterning the top. What a mistake that was even from the time i started to finnist the tape baked in the sun and was a mess. nd ive cmissed some and left it on toll canvas install. Fee days later it wasnt commjng off without solvents. The blue it east to see shat has to come off when im tired and hot and ready to leave.

timtheboatguy

I use shrink wrap tape to attach the blank to the boat. I staple the tape to the cover blank then stick it to the boat, usually about every two feet down each side. For the darts, I use a stapler and then pull the staples out after I stitch down the darts.

I do appreciate the Sailrite videos though, always learn something and the fact that they have many free videos and the videos they sell are reasonable too.
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Grebo

Quote from: jojo on January 02, 2014, 06:08:23 am
For only about $1500. Now isn't that a bargain? I got this video link in a Sailrite email:

http://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make-a-Power-Boat-Cover-Video#.UsVpCOl3vIU

And it's a pretty good how to video. But realistically, to do your own cover you'd need a sewing machine (cheapest one at Sailrite is $739), thread ($40), Sunbrella (around 14 yards for the boat in this video $350), then your little things like double stick tape, marking utensils, maybe a hot knife, and snaps. Then of course there are other considerations such as time and space. Oh yeah, and learning to sew.

I'm not worried about going out of business because of the DIYer's, are you?

jojo you forgot the undercover windless space for the boat & the massive cutting table level with the sewing machine.

Suzi

bobbin

Oh yeah... it's SO easy!

NOT!  I'm with you, Jojo.  And, I charge accordingly when some DIYer brings in their work and wants me to fix it... (stock and time, baby!).

regalman190

Mike...I agree. Never have used transfer tape over strapping tape. Only over blue painters tape. I use strapping tape to tension the frames, and even that is hard to get off if you leave it on too long. It leaves the filament strands.
Regal Canvas

Mike

I do also regal, I knew a guy who could do a trick with strapping tape after folding it over about an inch and sticking it to itself he would pull it apart and the tape would easily break, I could never do it ,.