Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:38:24 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Wood Issue: Removing casters on a chair (Keith?)

Started by baileyuph, December 30, 2013, 06:07:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Customer called wanting to know if casters on a kitchen chair could be removed?  I said yes, but the caster height removed would have to be compensated for to maintain same seating height. 

What could be put in there aesthetically?  I commented the challenge is to put something there to maintain height that was pleasant to look at, the leg is approximately 1 inch square or round.  Customer wasn't sure.

Anyone done this type of conversion?

Doyle 

SteveA

Alternatively raise the height of the cushioned seating.
SA

sofadoc

Quote from: SteveA on December 31, 2013, 03:31:43 am
Alternatively raise the height of the cushioned seating.
That's what I've done several times. Depends on how much lost height you're trying to compensate for.

If the casters that you are removing are 2", then it would look funny to add a 2" block under the seat. And adding 2" of foam would look out of proportion.

I try to split the difference. Maybe a 3/4" block under the seat, and an extra inch of foam. The rest can be accounted for with whatever type of chair glide you intend to mount on the bottom of the leg.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Haven't seen the chairs yet, caster wheels, she said. were about 2inches.  Add the cater frame (that axels the wheel and housing support it could understandably be about 2 1/2 inches of leg length that would need to be added.  If I recall correctly, the chairs did have arms.  

The dimension of the leg in terms of a circular or rectanguler was over an inch, she thought.  That would be the shape and dimension of the leg at floor surface contact.  I suppose she knows, but commented that the chair wood is oak.

So, until I see chair don't know if there are other options other than removing caster and compensating for caster height removed.  

I would be interesting on how to cut a piece of wood that would take on the shape of the leg where it meets the floor.  I want to hear what Hammer and any others think on pulling this off and maintain a professional look.

If leg is truly round at floor level, I suppose the wood could dimensioned to fit, the grain of the add-on would have to be compatible.  Then staining gets involved.  It isn't going to be easy from my perspective.  

There are four chairs (16 legs) but perhaps if the objective is to keep the chair from rolling when in use (she stated it was), maybe one could leave two front casters and work on the rear legs only, reducing the problem to 8 legs.  That might sell to the lady because the chair would be more static.  Be neat if there was a metal fixture that was the same height of the caster and would readily install as if it was the caster.  That would reduce the wood working effort to half.  You know, if there was a way to put a wheel lock or set screw on the existing caster, that would meet the static requirement and the wood issue would not be part of the problem.  Doesn't hurt to think out of the box.

Someone who has done a few of these may come and talk.  It has come up before, but I didn't engage, but will if there is something to be learned.  I could hear from the customer after the holidays.

Thanks,

Doyle

MinUph

Adding a 2" piece to a leg is not easy if done with strength and aesthetics in mind. You will always see the patch. You might think about designing some sort of foot that is larger than the leg. This would be less cobed for less of a better word. If the leg is round make the foot an inch larger in diameter and an inch taller than the castor. Bore a hole in it so the leg fits snugly and glue it on. Square leg the same idea but obviously square. If the customer likes ornate maybe paint them in a gold leaf. Or just stain them a shade darker than the legs.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

My intuition tells me that would be an acceptable approach Paul, less cobed.  Also not trying to match things is also very wise.  All this will be kept in mind when customer brings the job in.

Doyle

byhammerandhand

January 01, 2014, 10:03:07 am #6 Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 10:04:00 am by byhammerandhand
I've been away for a few days, but can't think of anything clever (or cleverer than Paul's suggestion).

You might consider painting some of these black and adding a stem to the top and felt pads on the bottom :
http://www.midwestdowel.com/pages/shop/itemdetail/431/

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

chrisberry12

there are solid replacements for casters for just this purpose. If you find the make of the chair, google it and then look up caster replacements. or you can just search chair parts. they do make extensions with a glide for just this occasion

SteveA

baileyuph

That replacement part, especially for chromecraft products is not all bad.  Maybe there is something aesthetically good for wood furnitue?

Probably do, seems some want to get away from casters.

Very interesting,
Doyle