Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 01:21:21 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

move over mojo

Started by Mike, December 17, 2013, 03:58:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

there a new guy in the game

Mike

I found that hemming the sides and then sewing a pocket at 28" down fron the top for the small 1/8" welt after folding around the welt made 4 layers of canvas and it was guyst that much to tight to insert in the slot , so I heat cut a knotch so there aould only be 3 payers around the welt it was snug but fit in now

Mojo

Great job and you even scalloped it. :)

The hems can be a royal pain during installation. What some guys do is drill out the end of the slot to make it bigger and to help get it started in the roller tube channel.

I do very little window awning work. They tend to last 2 to 3 times as long as toppers.

Chris

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

December 18, 2013, 05:34:22 am #4 Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 05:37:56 am by Mike
What i did chris was cur back the canvas 1/2 takingnthe hemmed edge off so the hem was notnwrapping the welt.   Didnt younsay different canvas's had different thicknesses thisnwas outdura.

Why do you do little window awnings chis. They are small and easy. Is it they arnt as inportant the the owner or they (i was gona say sell the rig before they were bad) but then the new owner would need them.

Agent 002

Looks good. You must have a pattern to finish the bottom with that wave effect. I've redone a few boat lift covers and customers have asked if I can duplicate that wave effect like they have on the original cover. Luckily I talked them out of in on the boat lift cover

Mojo

The main reason I do so few of them is because they are not used very often by the owners. Not alot of owners put them out when parked for short periods of time. When they are in they are typically wrapped in a cover so nothing is exposed. Window and patio awnings last almost twice as long as toppers. Reason being is the slides are out on coaches whenever they are parked. Not so for the window patio awnings.

I have never scalloped an edge before. My diesel customers would shoot me if I did. They all want straight valances with acrylic binded edges. I had a customer who owned a Prevost tell me " I do not want the Big Top Circus look so do NOT scallop the edges ". I did what he asked and he was very " to the point " about it.......lol.

If I did a gas coach then I am sure they would probably ask for the scalloped edge. The big bus owners demand straight edges . I just did an entire coach ( toppers and window awnings ). I used Vermillion red on the toppers, chestnut on the window awnings and trimmed the edges straight using black acrylic binding. It was sewn with black Solarfix thread. I thought the guy was nuts for his color choices but they turned out awesome looking. His coach paint ( full body scheme ) really looked awesome. He was very demanding and exact on everything, including the length of each valance. 2 of them he wanted 5 inches on and another he wanted 6 inches on. I just follow orders and have learned to ask alot of questions because some of these owners have specific demands and expectations.

I did one gas coach and 3 - 5th wheels this year. Everything else were the big buses ( diesels ). There seems to be rules when dealing with these different customers. I would never do some things for diesel owners and vice versa I would never do some things for towable or gas owners that I do for diesel owners. The higher cost of the rig the more demanding they are, especially when it comes to aesthetics.

Your window awnings look good. Did you use binding on the valance edge or do you have a serger ?

Chris

Mike

this was a gas coach a (friend) asked me if I could do them he does odd thinf not really advertising just WOM  he did some light tile inside and whle it was at his shop asked if I could do the awnings he brought them to me and I gave them back but he called to say it was to tight so I altered the welt hems  and slid them on myself to make sure they fit but it will probably be my last as I like to get payed when im done  and the owner got tied up and didn't may him so he went home early today and failed to tell me  should have had a deposite to cover me at least

Darren Henry

QuoteYou must have a pattern to finish the bottom with that wave effect.

As you know; the upholstery shop I'm in is part of a an RV business ,so I have to make our fabric awnings for those who don't want vinyl. I've got a couple of 1/? templates cut out of wall paneling that were in the shop when I got here. I only use the one for awnings and just flip it as often as required to meet my length. Chris would be in rehab if he saw how bad it is but no one has complained and the boss insists I use it so I haven't made a corrected one, but they are very simple to make. If you need one let me know---we can meet in the 'Peg for a beer,eh!!
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

Quote from: Agent 002 on December 18, 2013, 06:20:56 am
Looks good. You must have a pattern to finish the bottom with that wave effect. I've redone a few boat lift covers and customers have asked if I can duplicate that wave effect like they have on the original cover. Luckily I talked them out of in on the boat lift cover
I had a call today asking I if  made lift covers.  after I said no and hung up I wondered maybe he meant the frame and all complete. I hve made the canvas and yes with a scalloped valance um in NH on the lake .
there bot may options here for a lift cover  if one was ambitious it would be a good biz,   vut you have to deal with county permits ect.

Mojo

Mike, I have been stiffed once and that was by a Gas coach owner. It is the reason I do not do them anymore unless they are the high dollar rigs. I send them to another canvas shop in the area if I get an inquiry for one. :) Surprisingly I never take deposits with the diesel guys and I have never been burned by them.  Twice this year my wife and I got our wires crossed and I shipped out orders without billing them first. Both times the customer contacted me in a panic because he got his order delivered but never paid.

The diesel boys are my bread and butter. They are demanding and expect certain things, but for the most part they are extremely easy to work with and always pay their bills on time.

My suggestion is if you get an order from an RV owner who either has a gasser or towable, get a big deposit. All the vendors I do shows with have had problems and most wont even attend their rallys anymore. Remember if they go to a dealer for a window awning or topper they have to pay the entire bill up front.

So did you bind the edge or serge it ?

Chris

Mike

Sorry chris that was while acrylic binding outdura i dont have a server.
I always get a deposite when i sign a job im not using  mymmoney for materials   
Id have thought the guy my guy would have the money from a deposite after all he did buy tile for the rv. So the owner got tied up yesterday so i didnt get paid as stated. And today the guy paid hom with  charge. So i have to wait till tomorow for my money.
(If he gets it) i dont think im going to have time for him next time.
It isnt right to treat  me loke this its only a few hundred. Come on

Mojo

I agree Mike. Your very lucky your going to get paid. Some of these people with towables and gas units are vagabonds. Here today and gone the next.

I just got a phone call yesterday from a customer who I had an order for toppers for. He is trading his coach in and getting another one. I already ordered his fabric for his old coach. He called to inform me his new coach will need new toppers. He said he would make it right with me since I already ordered the other fabric and cannot use it.

The bitch is that the fabric I ordered for his old coach is a weird color ( Rockwood Red ) and I have a snowballs chance in hell of ever getting another order with that fabric. I am sure he will make it right and I am not worried but I learned a lesson. Never jump the gun and order the fabric in special colors until the job is billed out. :)

I think you may remember when I got burnt by the RV'er that had a gas unit identical to the one you just did those awnings for. The jerk ordered a full set of solar screens and when I went to install them and get paid he said he no longer needs them because they are moving to another park with shade.
Then to add more insult to it he wouldn't even come to the door and sent his wife instead who after telling me the story slammed the door in my face.

I had to get back in my truck and quietly drive off before I went postal on the guy. If he would have come out of his RV I probably would have given him some Marine Corp justice. :) That was the last time I did work for a towable or gas owner unless they paid me up front.

Chris

Mike

there a real good reason for deposits rich ,  they had  no money in it and no buyers remorse