Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 05:12:33 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pontoon Support Poles

Started by babock, December 04, 2013, 05:41:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

babock

I did a search of the forum but didn't quite find what I needed.

I am going to make a pontoon cover and want the best way to support the center with poles.

What seems to be the best /easiest way to accomplish this? I see some covers that have some sort of round disc on the outside of the cover, I assume this helps hold the pole on the inside in place.

Thanks in advance.
Bruce.

Mike

December 04, 2013, 06:32:48 pm #1 Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 06:34:08 pm by Mike
the disk  you mention in called a vent so port  it screws together to the cover and a support pole fit into the bottom of the vent , the cent heps the cover breathe . other ways to do a pole in a pad with a snap sewn ro the inside of the vober and a pole with a snap stud on the top of the pole , or a grommet in the cover and a pole with a tent pole tip in the grommet support pole can be bought that has a interchagable inner pole that adust the had a pointed tip on one end and a snap on the others
http://www.miamicorp.com/default.aspx?page=item%20detail&itemcode=BCV

babock

Thank you Mike.

To make it less likely for a pole to tip over. Is there one prefeered method over the other? I am thinking that the vent way would hold the pole for you while you are putting the cover on the boat.

Also, unrelated to the support pole, what is the best way to make the opening around the bimini poles? Just make a slit with it opening up where the pole goes through the cover? My plan is to put binding on the bottom of the cover so my thinking is to extend the binding up and down the slit for the bimini poles. I would make a flap, sewn under the cover with some velcro to keep the slit from flapping.

Mike

well with a breathable fabric like sunbrella a vent is really not necessary.  ive seen the grommet type that the pole sticks in if the pole is not tight the  wind can lift the cover off the pole and the pole walls over and now you have a bug funnel. so I don't like or use it, the sap tip snapped to the canvas if not up tight the wind can lift the cover and snaped on pole off the deck of the boat and its still ok the vent type could come out if it was low nut its unlilely its in there pretty good and it would be more difficult to come out   so with the few extr buck of the vent the customer is sure to like it.  but the snap pole I use the most

timtheboatguy

I use the boat vent II on all my covers and for poles I have a set of adjustable poles to use while I build the cover to determine exact size then I cut the final poles from 1/2 electric conduit and put rubber chair stops on the floor end. Adjustable poles tend to slip with the weight of snow.

As far as cutting the holes, I have a small cup that is just the right size that I trace around and then cut the hole with my seam ripper or scissors. Also, I don't use sunbrella for pontoon covers, but typically Aqualon or Top Gun.
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Mike

I never recommended a mooring cover for the winter snow . I once saw a snap on cockpit cover with snow on it and the windshield glass broke , it was a older  80s bayliner

baileyuph

On the subject of cover support, several of my customers will add poles to the cover, especially when the boat is exposed to year around weather.  The poles they like are often more of a small frame with a base and top construction wider to distribute the load of the cover and any snow or pooling of moisture.

Their poles at the base or built as a cross and perhaps at the top shaped to the natural shape of the cover.

The load on a cover can really be heavy in the winter.

There can be other good ideas to gain cover support (pontoons of course).

Doyle

Doyle

Darren Henry

QuoteAlso, unrelated to the support pole, what is the best way to make the opening around the bimini poles?

There is special tool to cut the round hole, but at $50 unless your doing alot of them do as Tim and find/make yourself a jig the right size.I sew a 12" disc of Vintex (a.k.a Herculite,Sampson,Gladiator etc...) on the inside of the cover.

QuoteI never recommended a mooring cover for the winter snow . I once saw a snap on cockpit cover with snow on it and the windshield glass broke , it was a older  80s bayliner

Up here , those of us who don't have a friend with a machine shed, build a ridgepole out of 2X4's and either shrink wrap or cover the boat with a cheap poly tarp. But!--there is always the guy who waits too long in the fall and mangles his convertible top or warps his windshield . That's why I'm afraid to half pattern boats. They are not usually isometric after a few years.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

timtheboatguy

Another thing is how many poles to use. I typically use 3-4 on twenty foot and under and 4-5 on twenty up to twenty-five footers. I also do as Darren and stitch in a piece of 18oz GVC where every pole meets the cover.

We get up to a foot of snow once in a great while here, usually three or four inches and then it almost always melts before the next snow. Late last winter we got 13" of heavy wet snow and I seen a lot of older worn covers give up the ghost but everything that I had made in the last few years held up fine. I offer shrink wrap but most folks around here don't want the added expense.

Douglas MacArthur

babock

Quote from: timtheboatguy on December 14, 2013, 06:56:49 pm
Also, I don't use sunbrella for pontoon covers, but typically Aqualon or Top Gun.
You have any pictures of pontoon covers you have made with Top Gun? Every one I see is wrinkle city.

timtheboatguy

Quote from: babock on December 15, 2013, 06:54:31 pm
Quote from: timtheboatguy on December 14, 2013, 06:56:49 pm
Also, I don't use sunbrella for pontoon covers, but typically Aqualon or Top Gun.
You have any pictures of pontoon covers you have made with Top Gun? Every one I see is wrinkle city.

Here is one of my "wrinkle city" covers made from Top Gun.
http://timsdockside.com/topgun1.jpg

Douglas MacArthur

JuneC

Looks pretty darn good to me.  I hate sewing Top Gun because it's virtually impossible to make a seam that doesn't gather the fabric.  Luckily it hasn't been very popular in S. Florida.  I really don't miss the canvas sewing.  Vinyl is so much easier.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

timtheboatguy

December 16, 2013, 08:48:20 am #12 Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:56:14 am by timtheboatguy
Quote from: JuneC on December 16, 2013, 08:39:55 am
Looks pretty darn good to me.  I hate sewing Top Gun because it's virtually impossible to make a seam that doesn't gather the fabric.  Luckily it hasn't been very popular in S. Florida.  I really don't miss the canvas sewing.  Vinyl is so much easier.

June

Thanks June,
I agree, the stuff is a pain to work with but it does last a long long time. I have also been using Harbor Time from Tri-Vantage. It is similar to Top Gun, 11oz, five year warranty etc. but cost a lot less and I think it is easier to work with.

I still prefer the Aqualon even though it's shiny surface makes wrinkles look worse, at 9.5oz it is manageable and the customer can take it off, fold it up and stuff it under a seat without the help of a couple of lumber jacks. :)

Douglas MacArthur

babock

December 16, 2013, 11:13:06 am #13 Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 11:16:31 am by babock
That one looks good.

Since the Top Gun is a little bit heavier than Sunbrella, is it ever an issue where people prefer the Sunbrella because its a bit lighter and easier to put on/off?

babock

Quote from: timtheboatguy on December 15, 2013, 05:02:39 pmI also do as Darren and stitch in a piece of 18oz GVC where every pole meets the cover.
Where can I purchase a small amount of GVC for my reinforcement?