Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 09:32:02 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pillow type couch cushion ?

Started by cthomps, November 23, 2013, 07:46:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomps

I checked the archives and could not find anything relevant to my question.  I have a customer who brought me 4 stuffed couch pillow backs. There are also 4 decorator pillows.  She wanted the stuffing removed, the stuffing fluffed up and re-used. 

My question is:  Is there a faster way to do this?  I knew it would take awhile, but it took me two days to do one large and one small pillow!  They are a fiberfill and down mix.  The result is nice, but I certainly cant guarantee how long they will stay fluffy. 

I sat and teased/pulled it all apart, and then re-stuffed the pillow. It looks really nice but takes forever. Is there a magic tool or trick to speed this up?  I did suggest new stuffing, but she didn't want that. 

Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thank you.  Carol
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

sofadoc

Here is how I re-fluff their old fiber:

The small clear-window pillow is for demonstration purposes only.

Here is a before and after:

I usually have to add a little fresh (new) fiber to the finished product.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

cthomps

Well Sofadoc, that would certainly speed things up!  Can you give me a bit more information on the fan?  I would have to MacGyver something around here.  I don't do enough of this kind of work to warrant an expensive purchase.  Thank you.

sofadoc

Here's the blower:
http://www.harborfreight.com/13-gallon-industrial-portable-dust-collector-31810.html

The blades on the blower actually chop the fiber up a little. If you run the fiber back through the blower a couple of times, it resembles "cluster-fibers".

cthomps

Sofa,  do you think a leaf blower would work? 

sofadoc

Electric (leaf blower), I assume.  I'm not sure if the blades in a leaf blower will chop up the fibers. If not, then it may not rejuvenate (fluff up) the fiber.

Can't hurt to try.

cthomps

I will see if I can track one down.  I hate to spend the 124.00 for one project.  Thanks

gene

November 23, 2013, 09:48:49 am #7 Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 09:51:23 am by gene
Thanks for asking the question Carol and thank you for your reply sofaD. I put one of those blowers at the top of my Christmas list.

Carol, I think that what you want to achieve with the poly fill is to separate the fibers so they create loft. The fibers got packed down with use and that's why they lost a lot of loft.

I would think a wire brush, like this,

http://www.miniinthebox.com/multifunctional-steel-wire-comb-with-charming-plastic-handle-for-dogs_p585588.html?currency=USD&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&pla_adwid=9286587055_129247863_8828160783_58687346703&gclid=CIys4rO7-7oCFcpaMgodrx4AjA

or anything with bristles strong enough not to bend or break, would work and if you set up a tray type area it could work very quickly.

I've had small projects like this where I pulled the fibers apart by hand and they turned out OK. It was a pain but managable because it was a small project.

a leaf blower is meant to blow air, not dust. The blower section may not be as separate from the motor as it is on a blower made to blow dust and other small debris through it. You may want to try it on a neighbor's leaf blower before using your own.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

cthomps

Gene,

I am a wool spinner.  I tried my wool carding paddles and it actually took more time.  I will try my flicker brush, which is like the one you pictured.  Because of my wool fleece picking experience, I knew this would be quite a project. I also thought of a drum carder, a tool used to straighten wool fibers, but it is a 400.+ tool I wish I had but do not own.   

I think it would be really fun for my customer and her kids!  I have a call in so she can decide if she wants to spend the $'s having me do it.  Do any  of you have any idea how long the "fluffiness" will last?

Lo

November 24, 2013, 04:37:41 am #9 Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 04:53:08 am by Lo
Here is what I use ... handed down from my mentor :-)

Other than the cardboard attachment thingy my hubby made for directing the fluff into an attached bag it is all original ... here is an image of the working components inside the unit

cthomps

Thanks Lo.  Your machine looks like a beefed up wool drum carder.  I thought about borrowing one, but I am afraid the feathers will clog the machine.  The pins are quite close and the machines are upwards of 400.00.

I ended up using one wool hand card and a self ejecting dog slicker brush.  I fill the card with fluff, brush a couple times and eject into a laundry basket. It work ok and is cutting my time in half.  It is still taking a very long time.

I talked to my customer to explain the time issue.  She said to keep going.  She has had the couch for 8 years and really likes it.

If I did this this more often, I would definitely purchase a machine.  My hands are sore and my house looks like a chicken coop.  Now if I could just figure out a way to keep my puppy from eating the stray feathers!

sofadoc

Carol: Since this is basically a one-time project for you, I think you would be better off concentrating on adding fresh fiber instead of trying to re-fluff the old fiber.

Wal-Mart usually has a 10 lb. box of fiber-fill for around $20 in the sewing dept.

I normally buy 50 lb. bags of blown fiber from my supply truck.

When I rejuvenate the customers existing packed-down fiber, I always add some new fiber to it.

You asked how long it will stay fluffed? I'm not sure. Most customers that come to me to have their cushions re-fluffed are just trying to squeeze a few more years out of their sofa. So I'm really not sure how long it lasts.

I would expect it to last at least as long as the original packing did. Probably longer.

Nunyo

Fibre picker one of the best time savers I found Lo. Mine was a package deal with a cushion stuffer I was told it was a foam shredder. Didn't shred foam very good I thought it was junk till I ran pig hair through it. Now I wouldn't want to do an antique without it.
Never argue with an idiot, the spectators won't be able to tell you apart.

Lo

Agreed Nunyo ... not so good with shredding foam but great for fluff. I had not considered using it for hair ... will have to give that a try. 

cthomps

Nunyo.  Your comment about a "fibre picker" gave me an idea.  Wool...  I called a girlfriend and borrowed her wool picker!  It worked really well.  I can't believe I didn't think of it.  I will only cost me bottle of wine to use it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg6mTIFHcgI  (hopefully this works, I'm not sure how to post a link)

I did a large cushion and 4 pillows in a couple hours.  If I would have thought of it earlier, the project would have been more profitable. I also added new stuffing as suggested.

I called my customer, she came right away, wrote me a check, and was thrilled.  Thanks everyone!  It is so nice to have all of this experience available to me. 

Happy Thanksgiving and Hanukah everyone!