Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:12:12 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

First leather seat project

Started by marko69, November 05, 2013, 07:33:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

marko69

I've always been scared to do leather.  It's so expensive and I'm worried I might mess it up.  I made a vinyl prototype first before doing this.  Took me a liesurely 3 months to do these.  I had to repair the driver side bolsters, which was a new skill, and the patterns killed me.  These are old and rare Porsche sport seats.  Sold them for $1350.  The leather alone was $500 since they are full leather all the way around.  1.5 hide of regular and .5 hide of perferated.  These are probably the most difficult seats I've done so far.  I made about 7 cents/hr.  I also learned what "good" leather is supposed look and feel like.
Before and After
(click to enlarge)

jojo

Wow, fantastic job! And with the experience that the job gave you, you earned more than 7 cents an hour.
Where did you get your leather?

gene

"Wow" was my first thought also.

Learning curves can be a killer.

3 months: Sometimes it's great not to have a deadline.

Thanks for the pics.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

marko69

I got the leather at Veteran Company.  Veterenco.com
It was very good stuff.  Super soft and pliable.