Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 28, 2024, 03:09:31 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New furniture with slip covers

Started by gene, October 25, 2013, 06:39:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

A homeowner recently bought a new $3500 sofa that had been covered in muslin and then she picked out the slip cover that went over the muslin. The fabric choices were limited, which makes sense.

Ikea does this with there cheap furniture.

You would no longer need upholsterers at the furniture factory. Just have sewers line up the notches on the fabric panels and sew away.

Does anyone see this slip covering new furniture trending? It certainly makes it cheaper for the furniture stores and manufacturers.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

I'm always a little confused by products like this.
What customer are they targeting?

The price suggests that the product is aimed at the high end customer.
But, does the high end consumer really want a cookie cutter sofa with a limited selection of cookie cutter slip covers to choose from?

The low end consumer wants practical. They want something that they can that they can wash 3 X's a week.

I know a few people that bought the cheap IKEA stuff. Their idea is to just purchase new slip covers when the old ones finally succumb to the rigors of the washing machine. But usually, by the time they're ready for a new slip cover, they've become disenchanted with the whole concept.

I just don't know who this product line is right for.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

A sofa done in muslin is still upholstered.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

Interesting thread.  I was in a local store (after googling slipcovers in my area, Sofa.) and found the same thing.  What surprised me the most was the price the pieces commanded; foolishly, I didn't have the presence of mind to ask if the "first" slipcover was included in the price at the time of the order. 

The slipcovers fit beautifully (the way I like to see them fit and the way I strive to do them), but the fabric selection was nothing to write home about.  As Gene points out, that makes sense... you offer a basic "color way" and if the customer has a yen for a particular fabric you could then charge accordingly to make a "one of" using your patterns and skilled sewing labor. 

Personally, I'd prefer a piece of furniture upholstered in something more than "muslin", and then have the option of ordering a nice fitting slipcover to change the "look" with the season.  Clearly, this wouldn't be an option that would fly with any but the moneyed crowd, but when an arm chair and ottoman commands the best part of 2K something tells me there is a market for it. 

byhammerandhand

A customer of mine used to warehouse / deliver for IKEA.   They had one of these and the customer bought a sofa and 12 slip covers.   She could change her sofa as often as she changed her underwear.

I see some of these from other vendors (can't remember which right now, but it might be Arhaus), sort of the cottage / shabby chic??  To me, it looks disheveled.   I prefer sheveled.  (OMG! I'm starting to sound like Gene.)

One of the latest fads in woodworking is to use pallet wood.  Ugh.  First, I'm not going to risk $150 worth of planer blades and $100 saw blades to dimension crappy wood that might have gravel, metal, and who knows what else in it.   And if I'm going to spend a lot of time on something, I'm going to use an attractive wood, not some unknown lot of jungle wood with bugs, rot, stains, paint, dents and nail holes.    Not for me.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

October 25, 2013, 03:13:36 pm #5 Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 03:14:41 pm by gene
QuoteThey had one of these and the customer bought a sofa and 12 slip covers.   She could change her sofa as often as she changed her underwear.

Yes, once a month.  :o

Here's the link: http://www.arhaus.com/furniture/living-room-furniture/sofas/baldwin-slipcovered-sofa/

The two selling points mentioned to me about buying this is that the slipcover is cheaper than upholstery, and you can buy more than one slipcover.

With a 100% cotton I wonder how well it will wear, and will it always have that wrinkled look?

If they can put muslin on the sofa, and add a slipcover, cheaper than upholstering it only, it would seem that they are not putting the muslin on the same way they would put on a finished fabric. ???

gene

baileyuph

October 25, 2013, 06:02:17 pm #6 Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 06:04:03 pm by DB
There is a crowd out there that just likes change, they simply do not appreciate craftsmanship and the finer details that it can deliver.  The slipcovers look like junk to me, no matter how often they can be changed, it wouldn't satisfy me at all.  That is because my crowd appreciates quality presented with expert craftsmanship.

There might be an element of appreciation for "slips" among the animal lovers, now they can wash and/or change weekly with this offering.  

Something for everyone.

If the furniture is built cheaply, framing, padding, and springing (which it likely is), it won't last long enough to wear out a dozen "slips".  

Not the same, but it reminds me of the "rag rod" fad among some of the car lovers.  They go but do not "show" well.  LOL.

Oh well,

BTW, what does sheveled describe or how is it defined?  I probably don't want to know.  LOL.  Oh, last comment, I have seen better looking underwear than the link provided to the "slips". 

Doyle

bobbin

I agree that 100% cotton can look wrinkled and rumpled, the key to minimizing it is to put the slip. on when it's just barely damp because cotton "shrinks" with washing but stretches back to shape upon installation (think of your dungarees after they've been washed) .  A nice quality denim will wear like iron.  Several acquaintances in the trade will only work on 100% cotton (duck or denim).  I think that's kind of silly personally, because it limits a customer's options.  I think a percentage of polyester is a great addition to cotton! And have never fully understood the prejudice against "synthetics"... there's "good stuff" and "cheap stuff"... .

The slips. I referenced above all had zippers on the main body so the fit could naturally be more precise.  I couldn't determine whether or not those in Gene's link did.  Many of my acquaintances don't put zippers in the main body of a slipcover.  I do, because a snug, tailored fit is what I like to see in a slipcover.  I will frequently use a decorative button placket, as well.  But if the name of the game is bang them out quickly and for minimum cost then the addition of zippers or decorative plackets to tighten the fit wouldn't be effective (more materials and higher labor skill).   

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on October 25, 2013, 03:13:36 pm
........selling points mentioned to me about buying this is that the slipcover is cheaper than upholstery
It might be cheaper IF you're talking about a cookie cutter slip cover. But the main selling point that I use (when trying to convince the customer to reupholster) is that there is little or no $$ savings at all for a CUSTOM slip cover.

Many of the comments regarding slip covers seem to indicate that most of us here prefer a snug fit. Not loose and floppy. In other words, we prefer it to look like it's melted and poured on. Not a "One size fits all" that's just tucked in everywhere.

I've got in a few sofas before that still had old slip covers on them. Some were so tight, that I had to bust open the seams just to get them off. For the life of me, I don't know how they got it on to begin with, unless they closed up some of the final seams by hand-sewing.

I'm not a fan of slip covers. I don't own any. And I don't do them. So my opinion about them doesn't mean much. But I don't like the ones that fit so well, that at first glance you can't even tell it's a slip cover. If I wanted a slip cover, I think I might prefer a slightly loose look.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

Yep, sofa d. I only do high end custom fit slip covers that are designed to look like upholstery.

There are some chairs I do where the slip cover is almost as much as upholstery. It takes a lot of time to piece each panel.

I bring the furniture into my studio. I have never done a slip cover in a customers' home.

The amount of fabric used is sometimes more for slip covers because the deck, under the seat cushion, is also face fabric.

If someone wants a slip cover that looks like a slip cover they can get really great ones on line. I can't compete with these volume folks. So, I don't.

And I only do them to give my Interior Designers another option in case there is some reason that the homeowner absolutely does not want the old fabric to come off a piece of furniture.

gene

Rich

I noticed that most of you don't like the look of slip covers, but we're all biased! I remember a movie called "Big night" where two brothers opened a restaurant and the one who was the chef kept coming out of the kitchen to tell the customers they were ordering food in a way they shouldn't have. They just didn't understand food preparation like he did. Bottom line was, it didn't matter what he thought if his customers liked it.
So, do the customers like the slip covered look? Maybe not in an upholsterers home but what about the customer's?
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

bobbin

Slipcovering is a definite "look".  No slipcover will ever be as drum tight as upholstery but the degree of "slouch" varies greatly and depends largely on the customer's taste and the fabricator's skill and comfort level with different fabrics.  Like Gene, I don't try to compete at the low end.  My niche is high end, and usually it's for handsome pcs. with beautiful upholstery that the customer wishes to "change out" with the season.  I get a kick out of slipcovering because it fits in nicely with my clothing background... it's basically clothing for furniture.  And they do require considerable time and thought and also substantial amounts of fabric.   

I pattern slipcovers in the customer's home, the notable exceptions being "Martha Washington" chairs or dining chairs.  Both will fit in my automobile easily and if a slip. for the former is to be closely fitted I really prefer to have the chair in my shop.  As for the latter, well... usually they can surrender one of 8 chairs for a few days, after the first one it's basically "cookie cutter" stuff.  Having the chair in shop is a lot easier for me, but I have no desire to get into the furniture moving business, thanks!  If the customer wishes to move the piece, great!!  I am confident enough in my fitting skills to make one trip to pattern, and a second trip to deliver, for me it's a lot easier than trying to move furniture.   

Dede

Note that these "factory" slipcovers have Velcro on the outside arms.  That's the reason they fit so snugly.

Quote from: bobbinMany of my acquaintances don't put zippers in the main body of a slipcover.  I do, because a snug, tailored fit is what I like to see in a slipcover.  I will frequently use a decorative button placket, as well.

I never used to put zippers in my slipcovers, and they always went on just fine... until that ONE time.  Now my default is a big chunky placket right down the back, sometimes with buttons.  I call it a "design feature" and no one has ever complained.
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

bobbin

Dede, I did the "hover thing" and didn't pick up Velcro on the arm chair... where were you looking?

I prefer zippers to Velcro... the hook portion always picks up all manner of lint and whatnot.  Zippers don't!  And "one time" is all it takes... (lol)

baileyuph

October 29, 2013, 05:51:57 pm #14 Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 11:21:10 am by DB
Rich,
Contrary to what your impression was, I do like professional tailored Slips.

Not the junk.  It is understandable that some like the lesser professional slip, pets, or just to protect or are cheap or all of the above.

Doyle