Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 25, 2024, 09:09:37 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Suggestions for cover fabric

Started by JuneC, October 20, 2013, 06:58:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

I've worked exclusively with Sunbrella and that weight of fabric for covers, but I need to make a big one for our own boat and want something lighter and completely waterproof.  Suggestions?  I'm thinking 6 or 7 oz would be good.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

MinUph

I made a cover for a console from Surelast. I think it is the name. It was light weight and study. I think it is a Sunbrella product line used for mooring covers etc.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

yes surlast is light  also stamoid light ,though not breatable , odessey 3 is light  also

JuneC

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll look into the Surlast.  The cockpit cover is done with Sunbrella, but we want to cover the hull and forward deck.  This cover will be an add-on.  It'll slip maybe 5 or 6 inches under the cockpit cover so that the overlap creates runoff.  Mildew isn't a concern since the Sunbrella over the cockpit breathes and is also vented.  I'm looking primarily for something that will shed water and protect the gelcoat so we don't have to buff/wax every 3 months. 

I made the cockpit cover with lead shot in the hem of the windshield cover and snaps at the top of the windshield so it will overlap the deck cover (I can't reach snaps on the deck over the windshield).  Primary objective is something we can install from the ground without removing the cockpit cover. 

June

W. C. Fields

Mike

if you have any concerns with abrasion I did a fountain before a full to waterline cover with outdura trio its like sunbrellla but a super soft felt like liner  but still heavy as sunbrella

forsailbyowner

Have you tried Weathermax?  It seems to be very light but I havent any practical experience with it. Seems I remember it got pretty good reviews here.

brmax

Ive looked at a sample  card i have, and looking at Marlens comparibility chart list a Vista product with Surlast, it is a better value on rockford site. I did notice its not very reversible but does have a flexible hand and a medium underside. Im sure you all have seen it before and i would be interested to hear if it could work.
Good day to ya

Mike

are you just looking to cover the bow june or the hull sides also ?

JuneC

I'd like to cover the bow, forward deck and hull sides, all the way across the transom.  Maybe tomorrow I'll take some time to go through my samples.  Today I had jury duty and didn't accomplish a thing.

June

W. C. Fields

Mike

because you want to install from on the ground  no snap cross the window id just pattern it to cover the bow, then along the side of the boat below the cockpit cover you could use gypsy snaps to hold it onto your cover  or separate fasteners to hold it to the existing cockpit cover with a strap holding the bottom of the transom tie down ring ot swim platform.   maybe sandbags ?

bobbin

In my former "real" job I did a lot of work with the lightest Stamoid.  Great product! and I believe there are now "knock offs" that are considerably less money/yard.  Another nice feature of Stamoid was that it was available wider than 60", I recall 72", and some widths greater than that.  VERY useful!

JuneC

I'd love to use Stamoid light, but it's too pricey.  It's going to be a very utilitarian cover - in the pickup bed while we're out and otherwise on the boat.  Looks don't matter much.

And Mike, the sandbag idea is great.  I hadn't considered that.

June

W. C. Fields

Bob T

Count me as +1 for the Weathermax.  I've made a number of things using Weathermax and it is incredibly good stuff.  Normal weight is 8 oz.  but they make a lighter weight, something like 6 oz.  Last year I made a backyard swing shade cover using the light weight material.  I've use the 8 oz. to make everything from equipment bags, to windsurfing harnesses, to shade covers.  Weathermax is  naturally chaffe resistant, and watertight. It doesn't wrinkle easy, but you do need to use a hot knife to cut it to prevent unravelling.

Mike

ive found it doesn't ravel near as bad as sunbrella with scissors. I made a yellow cover on a Larson bowrider I had this spring. I cjose it as it clewans more easily then sunbrella  recacril outdure ect