Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 06:21:24 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New use for jute webbing

Started by gene, October 16, 2013, 06:02:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

I have an Interior Designer customer who sent me this link. She loves this look!

http://www.houzz.com/photos/51936/Guestroom-eclectic-bedroom-other-metro

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

DDandJ

Those curtains look like they belong with the "deconstructed" furniture.  Seems like I remember a discussion of the deconstructed furniture that is only half-way upholstered and VERY expensive.

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

momto3fatdogs

That type of design feature on curtians would attract dust like flypaper I think!

On another note...I used some webbing to make 2 banners. Cut a bunch of peices about 7" long (as pennants), then cut a little "V" in one end(inverted..), sewed a casing on the other end, threaded the banner peices on ribbon. Instant banner. Sturdy & stands up to rain. Sheds a little bit though. the 2nd one I made I took a sharpie & wrote HAPPY FALL Y'ALL (ala Paula Deen) - the girls in the office liked it!

Sam

byhammerandhand

Ready for the trash can in 4-6 years.    American automakers pumped this "planned obsolescence" in the 1960s.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

Maybe put a bunch of clinch-its through the back side of the jute webbing border so whenever anyone runs theirs hands down the border the sticky ends of the clinch-its will cut their hands.  :o

I'm thinking of getting a piece of fabric and bordering it with ply-grip. I'll call this look: "Jaws" (you have to think of one of the old James Bond movies to find this really funny).

gene

baileyuph

Give me an example of what a designer would charge for coming up with these unusual uses of webbing and such?  The webbing bording cloth as a curtain for example.  It doesn't portray quality, to me.  It is in a class with tatoos, "anything to be noticed and different".  (No offense to tatoo lovers).

How long would someone use such decor?  Three months (a relative short period anyway)?  What home price range is this stuff going into? 

Oh well, everything is different,

Doyle

sofadoc

Quote from: DB on October 17, 2013, 05:25:24 am
What home price range is this stuff going into?
When I see stuff like that in my customer's homes, it's usually Yuppies that are making 100 grand.....but living a 200 grand lifestyle. They tell themselves that they are doing stuff like the webbed curtains in the interest of being "Chic". But actually, they're just pinching pennies.

It might be a fun little DIY project, but I can't imagine paying a designer to come up with that crap.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

jojo

Quote from: DB on October 17, 2013, 05:25:24 am
Give me an example of what a designer would charge for coming up with these unusual uses of webbing and such?  The webbing bording cloth as a curtain for example.  It doesn't portray quality, to me.  It is in a class with tatoos, "anything to be noticed and different".  (No offense to tatoo lovers).

Doyle

Doyle, I kinda disagree about the tattoo analogy. With home décor, especially curtains, you can always change them whenever you want. But a tattoo is forever.  (I'm not a tattoo fan for this reason and a few others).
I gotta say, I actually think the jute border is a cool look. But yes, probably trendy, and the trend will be done in a year or two.  At my house I never sweat about paint or window coverings, because if you don't like them, it's not a big deal to change them.

sofadoc

OK..........topic headed straight into the ditch.

It seems like nowadays, if you say anything negative about tattoos, you offend at least half the population. I don't have any. And if my 2 grown daughters ever came home with one.......I'm scrapin' it off with a cheese grater.

I was eating at a local restaurant one evening, when a young waitress told me that she was going to be 18 in a few days. She said that the first thing she intended to do upon turning 18, was get a tattoo.

I asked her "Why?"  She said "Just to show my parents that I'M in charge now".

A man at the next table showed her his 2 arms, both totally engulfed in tattoos.
He told her that he now regrets every single one of them. She acknowledged that she would probably regret her decision somewhere down the road. But that won't stop her now.

I never understood why the temporary henna tattoos never caught on among the ink crowd. Same principle as the webbed curtain. People quickly tire of a particular look, and want a change. So they waste money on something that they know they'll soon be tired of. Why not do the same with tattoos? Kids love to piss off money. I can't think of a better way.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

scottymc

A mate of mine covered a few couches in potato sacks, sold a few and actually had a feature article about them in a magizine, those curtains would have gone well with them. He was busy for a while till the novelty wore off.

Re: Tattoos, my dad advised to never get tattoos as they were a way of identification that you can't get rid of, and that you never know you may need to disappear. Looking back now, the fact that there were no relatives on my fathers side of the family and information offered by him was vague  at best, I think I may have grown up in some sort of witness protection program.   

gene

October 17, 2013, 04:21:52 pm #11 Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 04:29:10 pm by gene
I never liked dating women with tattoos. It was like when you go spelunking (caving) and you find graffiti on the wall. It's a constant reminder that someone else was there first.

I never liked dating women who had more tattoos than teeth. Enough said.

If I were young and single today, and felt the same way, I don't think I would like dating very much.

gene

PS: A topic on unique, trendy draperies gets highjacked by a discussion of tattoos. Now that's funny!

PPS: Mike Tyson. Enough said.

PPS: Tramp stamp. Enough said.

PPPS: I don't remember if I put this on here, but if I did, sorry for the repeat. I think my new tattoo is causing an infection. I should have paid the extra $6 for the guy to use a sterilized needle.

Sign on a tattoo door:

IF YOU ARE UNDER 18,
DRUNK OR HIGH ON DRUGS,
OR AN ASSHOLE,
JUST GO AWAY
AND DON'T COME BACK,
UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

jojo

The worst tattoo I ever saw: Texas, just outside of Shepard Air Force Base. Fresh out of tech school, when we had enough freedom to leave the base, a friend wanted to get a tattoo and asked me to go with her. One of the artists was a big scary looking biker dude, who showed us his pride and joy tatt. starting at his hand/wrist was a woman's high heeled shoe and going up his arm was her leg in fishnet stockings. The tatt then gets interrupted by his disgustingly hairy armpit, and then the fishnet continues down the side of his torso, then the other shoe around his hip.

JuneC

Quote from: jojo on October 17, 2013, 04:55:56 pm
The worst tattoo I ever saw: Texas, just outside of Shepard Air Force Base. Fresh out of tech school, when we had enough freedom to leave the base, a friend wanted to get a tattoo and asked me to go with her. One of the artists was a big scary looking biker dude, who showed us his pride and joy tatt. starting at his hand/wrist was a woman's high heeled shoe and going up his arm was her leg in fishnet stockings. The tatt then gets interrupted by his disgustingly hairy armpit, and then the fishnet continues down the side of his torso, then the other shoe around his hip.

Ok now, that's just gross.  Yech! 

As for the curtain, I don't particularly like how it was done.  Too "shabby chic" for me.  It's poorly sewn.  At least make it neatly put together.  It looks like a 10 year old just learning did the sewing. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

MinUph

It seems whenever one of the goofy ideas comes to play the construction of it is like that. I remember watching a tv show once about switching houses and redoing each others. One of the homes rooms was painted a red and it had to be the worlds worst paint job.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website