Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 07:30:46 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

credit card readers

Started by gene, October 11, 2013, 05:39:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Howdy,

We've talked about credit cards and cell phone credit card readers before.

I had a customer in my studio yesterday who had just gotten Square, the second link below. She used it twice yesterday and just loves it. Free hardware (scanner that plugs into the headjack of your cell phone), free app to download, no fees, and 2.7% for cards swiped and 3.1% if you punch in the credit card numbers.

I was amazed at how easy it is. If I ever get an I phone, I would certainly use one of the 3 companies mentioned in the article below.

I'm curious: Any reason someone would not want this little device?

gene

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/square-vs-intuit-gopayment-vs-paypal-here-mobile-credit-card-processors/

https://squareup.com/?gclid=CJqUx9bkjroCFckRMwodoW0Avg

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on October 11, 2013, 05:39:18 am
I'm curious: Any reason someone would not want this little device?
It really depends on the volume of CC sales that you do.

I have the regular CC terminal from a merchant service. My fees are a little over $50 per month. BUT......I only pay .5% for each transaction. So if you do enough transactions per month (which I easily do) then you save enough to absorb the extra fees that Square doesn't have.

Devices like Square are great for people that need the mobility, or don't want a long-term commitment (I have a 4 year lease).

Also, I've been told (can't confirm) that if you use devices like Square, you are not protected from loss if you process a stolen card. Of course, the guy that told me that was also trying to sell me a CC machine lease.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

I was looking at these a bit and did notice a security difference in company offerings at option levels. That said I cannot remember what % but recall 3.5 from reviews because some transactions didnt qualify, maybe had to be typed in. As mine and many friends have in the past. Seems cards get trashed in the wallet or mine do. I did see a trick at the diner, as the cashier used a plastic bag piece covering the card with it. Im not sure if thats magic or not but it wasnt a free lunch.
Anyway i did notice and was considering if my budget realy needed the super pro version at this time. ( its cool i admit ) It is important to me how the transactions are going to be uh filed and can my bank take it or want that method. I am interested in transactions that interchange or can update in some form, just paying for some  epayments but still the same bookeeping transfer is an added bookwork/pc time expense. I know some programs update online with some merchant services, and there looks to be a lot of levels there also. If I remember correctly we had quicken in the mid 90s running on win95 with online capability and after a couple pcs and other upgrades i used it only offline, now Im interested again.
no offense just my 2c
good day

Mike

I agree with sofa I got a card reader when I was in NH I had a lot of young customer and used the card a lot for jobs
I found it odd that I HAD TO HAVE MY CREDIT CHECKED  to charge somebody else who credit was on the line . it was a portable unit that was like a cell in itself large though like the first cells. I used it here a little af first but not many charge as they mostly have the expendable funds to the montly fee did warrant it .
I reciently did get the square app and its great for the few times I do have to use it say a customer is away and im done   and there is no credit check to me  huh odd  it was so important before  but ya its good and I couldn't get my without my I phone ill ccheck m,y emails on the road store all my customers on it and take a photo after I done on a boat and can upload it asap to my facebook page or email it to the customer up north in the summer them take there dredit card mumber and get paid there is a greater charge per action if dome without the card present and swiped and there is a dollar limit at first to unswiped trasnactions per month  nut if it only a few action no biggie

bobbin

The woman that cuts my hair uses Square.  She loves it.  Fellow members of the League of NH Craftsmen who routinely work "fairs" also love it.  Personally, I do nowhere near the volume of business that would make accepting credit cards worth the cost of the transaction worthwhile, but I see clearly that is the way of the future. 

brmax

Im glad this topic is brought up again, i just remembered a reason i forgot to mention before anyway: customers using there debit and there pin would have a lower rate charge to you.  Just wanted to mention that its a deal for business sometimes using the credit only option. They use to post it on the registar + 6% or if not they quietly ate the charge, for some small gas stops in the sticks its noticeable but realy didnt have a choice being a rep transfer for major fuel companies. I recall using a debit card and pin when it wasnt cool. As we moved and kept the same bank somewhat major i guess, but not having any facilites local was and is still a pain. Im hard headed and loyal, this poses a problem now and choices need to be made. 30 miles i know is just a short ride yet a pain. My credit unions neither have the credit transactions acceptance available i called? first thing they mentioned on business account. So I might have to  open another or make a big new shuffle.
sorry didnt mean to rant
have a good day all

Mojo

I am a heavy user of Square and Paypal. The big show I did in Indiana in May I processed over 50 transactions in a few days time. No problems whatsoever. But while at this show my buddy whose booth was next to mine was using a Paypal swiper which looks just like the square but is triangle and blue in shape.

I asked him about it and he said he used the Square but had a problem with a transaction. They over charged his customer. During the process of getting things fixed he said it took over 145 days to finally get the problem taken care of. Evidently Square has horrible customer service and getting a live person on the phone was next to impossible. He switched to Paypal and has been happy with that setup.

Because the vast majority of our business is conducted over the internet we elected to invoice our customers through Paypal. We were able to construct our product listing and can now just select a product ( eq. - large slide topper ) and it enters the correct price, etc. We then select the shipping rate and it does the calculation and then bills our customer. They pay and it goes into our Paypal account. Once a week the wife transfers our balance to our business account.

I am leaving tomorrow to do another show and will be taking our new Paypal swipper with me. I will let you know how it works out but so far our tests at home have been great. We are using the Paypal swipper through my Ipad but it will work on any device ( android or Apple phone or tablet ). It is real nice having it go directly into our Paypal account with the rest of our money/orders. Once a month Paypal also does an account summary for you showing each transaction including all details.

In case someone is not aware ( I wasn't until a month or so ago when the wife told me ) your customers do NOT need a Paypal account to pay their invoice from you. You need an account obviously but your customers do not.

I am truly blessed that I have a wife who is very proficient at technology. She has my new Ipad all set up with our inventory, product listing making it a " click on this " affair for me. My technology skills would fit inside a thimble. :)

The wife did a vast amount of research to find the cheapest method for us and the Paypal thingie was the best. The other vendor that has decent rates is Sam's and she nearly went with them. They have a swipper machine and full CC services. We didn't want any leases or monthly fees so went with what we have.

Chris

Mike

October 12, 2013, 09:43:43 pm #7 Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 09:45:09 pm by Mike
Quote from: Mojo link=topic=12683.msg102597#msg102597

I am truly blessed that I have a wife who is very proficient at technology. She has my new Ipad all set up with our inventory, product listing making it a " click on this " affair for me. My technology skills would fit inside a thimble. :)

Chris

glad  you said that I was going t call you on it that I don't think your that tecky :)
heck I been reading up on jailbreaking my I phone to teather it to my laptop. its all over my head

I had square never had a issuew yet and ya you cant talk to anybody , but isn't it a pain having to have a paypal account with the square it deposite right into your bank account . I had or gueese I still do hsave a paypal account but the back acound I had has changed that was for ebay buying before

Mike

October 23, 2013, 06:16:25 am #8 Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 02:07:40 pm by Mike
update im done with square cant call anybody to talk I asked to increase my sales limit from the $2002.00 and they deactivated my account before I had a deposite made to my bank. im going to try intuit

bad reports
http://www.merchantmaverick.com/mobile-payments-reviews/square-review/comment-page-2/#comment-81312

brmax

i dont have to read it Mike, your word is enough in my book.
So whats out there now, Im just getting ready to stop over best buy and check out the Quickbooks. I am just going to do the lone pc at this time, but am interested in everyones helpful ideas on mobile pay options.
Good luck Mike

Mike

well ive been getting adds from my website provider homestead about there service intuit go payment so I signed up for that