Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 12:46:28 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

stretchy fabric

Started by crammage, October 03, 2013, 12:04:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I think that Gene is having another one of his "Senior moments".
I think he meant fabric adhesive.

Such as:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aleene-s-Specialty-Fabric-Adhesive-3pk/21670444

I'm going to try that next time I have some cantankerous fabric.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

My senior moments are starting to connect with each other and are slowing becoming one long NOW moment.

Sorry for the confusion. It is indeed fabric adhesive of which I applied a small bead around the edge and then spread it out with my finger.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Dede

Thanks, Gene! Something like Rowley fringe adhesive?

...and inside or outside the seam allowance?  THANK YOU! Okay, enough with the smilies...
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

gene

Rowleys is exactly what I use.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

DDandJ

SofaDoc, I have a cutter very similar to the one you have.  I believe mine is called a Birdie.  I got it when my the sewing factory my dad managed closed.  I tried using it a while back but the blade is dull.  Wouldn't cut hot butter.  Wonder if it takes the same blades?  I will say that the blade is FAST.  I'll have to be careful and not lose a finger.

Do you use it on all of your cutting or primarily just welting strips?

Jeremy

sofadoc

Quote from: DDandJ on October 10, 2013, 09:04:37 am
Do you use it on all of your cutting or primarily just welting strips?
I use it as much as possible, mainly to save wear and tear on my hand. A few years ago, I started getting numbness in the thumb of my cutting hand. Since I've been using the rotary cutter almost exclusively, the numbness has decreased quite a bit.

The only time I still use scissors, is for more intricate inside corner type cuts that the rotary cutter can't achieve.

The Allstar cutter has a built-in blade sharpener. I'm still using the same blade that came with it. The blade is small, an well-protected. You couldn't cut your finger if you tried. The downside is, it really isn't made to cut more than 1 layer at a time. Sometimes I will fold fabric over and cut 2 layers at once. I can tell by the sound that it is putting a strain on the motor.

If your Birdie is more of a big industrial model, it may be too big to use as a substitute for scissors. If not, you should be able to locate a replacement blade.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban