Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 04:20:04 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Feet

Started by MinUph, September 28, 2013, 12:57:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

I bought an extra set of standard flat feet for my machine so I could modify the outer one. I had one setup years ago with one of the legs cut off. It worked well but I can't for the life of me remember which leg was cut off. I think this might be called a zipper foot when one leg is gone. I sew my zippers with the zipper on the left and the fabric on the right. So should I cut the left leg off?
  Thanks guys and gals.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

You want to cut of the toe that is going to be closest to the zipper. 

I have zipper feet for the right and the left of my walking foot machine and I have different widths.  I also really like the inside foot with a serrated bottom to improve traction tougher materials. 

MinUph

Yea thats what I thought bobbin thanks. The outside foot is serrated but not the inside foot. Thats good with me. I'll be cutting the left leg off and will let ya all know how it works out.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

Paul, I didn't know you could get a serrated outside foot.  I'll have to ask about that when ace mechanic changes over the overlock benchtop and the motor!  I always learn something new from you guys!

Mike

my feet are serrated

brmax

I see what your saying now Paul , i looked on ebay for 1245s. I didnt realize there was a so many different darn feet, Ya couldnt throw a bit of info on the zippers can you. Looking at them is uh well,  just curious whats good for a ground blind replacment or tent and any basic practice stock while your on the subject, appreciate it.

Mojo

After all these years I just learned they have a foot specific for binding. I bought one and used it a couple times and it does an awesome job. The right foot has heavy serrations and is very wide.

I never considered a foot specific for binding but after seeing how it works it makes perfect sense.
I used to have a little bit of an issue with the binding folding a little weird but not anymore.

Here is what it looks like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111W-SINGER-CONSEW-JUKI-KNURLED-BINDER-FOOT-SET-S514-/290739291325?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b16984bd

Chris

MinUph

Chris,
  This is the shop I've been ordering feet from. Great prices and quick free shipping. The quality of the parts seems to right on also.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Paul: One of the used machines that I bought a few years ago came with several extra flat feet. I made my own zipper foot by grinding the left toe off like you're talking about. Then later on, I acquired a factory OEM zipper foot. In comparing the two, I find that there isn't one bit of difference in performance. I'm sure that your plan will work fine.

I've also been very happy with Sharp Sewing Supplies. I got a few ill-fitting parts from them 3 or 4 years ago, but they gave me a refund and let me keep the parts. Since then, I've bought several feet, and attachments for my Juki 1508 and 555. They've all fit perfectly, and were insanely cheap.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban