Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 06:25:23 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Thread selection question

Started by byhammerandhand, September 18, 2013, 10:50:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

September 18, 2013, 10:50:58 am Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:52:42 am by byhammerandhand
I got some of these ratcheting web straps (Costco 4 clamps for $20 - SCORE!).   I'm thinking about converting two of them to use as strap clamps in the shop.   I'd like to remove the ends with the hooks and just make it loop back on itself.  That way, there's no hooks to risk denting the work.

What type of thread would be the strongest to resist breakage?

http://www.amazon.com/Snap-On-Piece-1-1-Ratchet-Down/dp/B008610OQ0

If you zoom in, you can see how they are currently sewn together.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

brmax

Man thats a good find, way to go. Id have to keep my buddies from wanting them, i bet that its nylon, but not sure. i just dont think the yellow pull or tow straps are using ptfe yet either. 
Good Day

byhammerandhand

I've learned that when you see something new at Costco and are thinking about it, you'd better snatch it up because, "Here today, gone tomorrow."   In the hardware section, very little stuff has permanent residence.   I snatched up a mechanic's tool chest last year and while they have others, the one I have is no longer offered and it was half the price of current.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Looks like #277  in the pic. Since you'll be using indoors, nylon is plenty strong enough.

The REAL question is: What is the largest size thread that your machine will sew?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

#138 100% polyester.  Use a size 20/21/22 needle and a sturdy box stitch to secure the tack that forms the loop.  This is what we always used for straps used at the yacht yards. 

Mike

September 18, 2013, 02:59:22 pm #5 Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 03:01:10 pm by Mike
not s good idea liability wise but my shop was next  public boat ramp ramp up north  I repaered broken strap hoosk on boat trailers with sunguard 92 just sew it good a secure a square with X ect  

bobbin

You know, Mike, I always wondered about the liability thing... but it wasn't my shop and I did what I was told. 

MinUph

I've never found a thread as strong as NYMO. Too bad it isn't made any more.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Like Bobbin I have used 138 poly ( sunguard ) as well. I use a box stitch and if it is going to really carry some heavy weight I do a cross stitch as well in the center of the box.

I wont do them for the general public because of the liability issues. We live in a very sue happy  society and I have worked too hard / too long to hand it over to someone else.

Chris

sofadoc

People have been bringing stuff like that to me for years. I sew them while they wait with whatever thread happens to be on my machine at the time (usually 69 nylon). I don't charge them anything. So if it doesn't last 20 years, I really don't care. But I don't remember anyone ever bringing one back for re-sew.

You guys are always talking about liability issues, formal written contracts with all the legal fine print, etc. Chris says that we live in a "sue happy" society. And basically, I agree with that statement. But just from reading all the posts on these forums, and observing the way things are here in Texas, I don't think that Texas is quite as "sue happy" as the rest of the country.

When we get bad service, or a defective product, we just "chalk it up to experience" and move on. We don't have a season pass to the courthouse.

I'm not saying that we don't have our share of those sleazy personal injury lawyers on TV. We do! But c'mon! Getting sued over a seam that failed?

I'm not sure if it is just in Texas, or everywhere. But I heard that JP's will now be able to preside over all the "Judge Judy" type small claims cases. So maybe I'd better "Lawyer up"! :D

bobbin

A lot of the stuff that gives me the creeps is marine related.  Big, heavy straps for suspending big, heavy boats... if that sucker lets go I don't want to be the one holding the bag.  A couple of years ago a local guy whose business is tourist cruises and some charter fishing trips wanted me to restitch the straps on the life jackets he carries on board.  "Cheaper than buying new ones"... my radar went off.  The straps were nylon and disintegrating, no amount of restitching was going to make it better. 

Sorry! safety is safety and if the PFDs are ageing and no longer safe... time to fork over the pork and replace them, buddy!  I refused to do it. 

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on September 19, 2013, 06:11:28 am
Sorry! safety is safety and if the PFDs are ageing and no longer safe... time to fork over the pork and replace them, buddy!  I refused to do it.
Ahhh.....I get it now. You're not necessarily worried about getting sued. You're actually concerned for the safety and well-being of the people using the life jackets. THAT kind of thinking is downright un-American :D