Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 12:19:40 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

seam locking 101 no rev

Started by brmax, September 12, 2013, 07:18:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

brmax

Quick question Please, I need to loc the start and finish of a seam with this machine i have at present, it has no reverse. Do i sew 1/2 inch and cut n trim and return to start ? whats best

Another question on the check spring, is it suppose to constantly have a tension on thread.

I have sewed the first 12' of my life on a machine, i dont think anyone needs to worry. 
Good day to ya

sofadoc

Technically, the check spring only puts real tension on the thread when the needle is on the upstroke.
The downstroke tension is very mild.

Do you have a knee lift? There is a technique for locking the stitches on a non-reverse machine called "Bumping the knee lift". When you get to the end of a run, raise the foot, move the material back an inch, then lower the  foot and re-sew the last inch.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

Thanks, i set it around the 9:00 as a manual pic shows. it looks loose on a down position some but i realy dont know what it would produce.
I wanted to ask here and i will look again.
Yes on the lift, i repinned and installed it so thanks i will try that.
I re adjusted the new bobbin winder for a full amount of 92 ultra i first purchased it was not quite full, with this i am seeing a change down thru a small marine cover. the test pieces looked to be 12' i sewed at refill. wow a larger one could be handy versus i think the g on the 212 i have.

brmax

I might need to re adjust, at this time after looking again the check spring has thread tension to bottom or say bdc then release's and not untill 1/4" form tdc or top starts to tension again. 

SteveA

September 12, 2013, 10:40:45 am #4 Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 10:46:08 am by SteveA
I have no reverse in my singer - the knee bump sounds good.  I've just left the needle down in the fabric at the end of the seam - spin the fabric around end for end and sew 1/2 inch to lock the stitch.  My machine is heaven - a 31-15 - never let me down - it's one of a few things that's older than me in the shop.
SA

bobbin

I've been sewing professionally for 30+yrs. now.  My "go to" machine for most of those years was a 1929 Singer 31-15 drop feed.  No reverse, but with a knee lift for the presser foot.  The "bump" technique is a good one and I still use that machine and I still use the "bump" thing for a quick backtack. 

Interestingly enough I used the "bump" on the Consew 255RB I operated for nearly 14 yrs., even though it had a reverse mechanism.  Why? the "bump" was faster than using my right hand to hit the reverse lever!

It's important that you not pull the fabric toward you too strongly.  Doing so could put strain on the needle and snap it.  Play around with the technique, you develop a "feel" for it and it takes a little practice.  Welcome to the Geezer Club!  (pass the Geritol, willya?)

sofadoc

Wow! I haven't thought of Geritol since I was a kid watching Ted Mack and the Original Amateur Hour. Every other commercial was for either Geritol, or Serutan.

Gotta go, my hot mustard plaster is almost ready. ;) Somebody pass the salve, please.

bobbin

Oh man... Geritol was the banner behind Lawrence Welk's orchestra. 

I loved LW, I grew up with "that music" and I love dancing!  When I was in HS Lawrence Welk was my "guilty pleasure".  Really.  His orchestra was comprised of the best musicians available.  They could play anything!  And yeah, it was way too "Wonder Bread" for today's standards, but the quality of the music and performance was superb!

What was Geritol made of, anyway?

SteveA

Quote from: bobbin on September 12, 2013, 12:54:33 pm
My "go to" machine for most of those years was a 1929 Singer 31-15

I'm not saying I wouldn't want to learn how to drive one with electronics, walking feet, auto thread, 10 horse power, reverse, touch screen, etc -  but the old machine is just comfortable for me.  A couple of years ago someone was tossing a 31-15 - so I  disassembled it as much as possible for spare parts for mine but nothing ever breaks  :)
SA

byhammerandhand

September 12, 2013, 04:24:25 pm #9 Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 04:27:22 pm by byhammerandhand
I've often said I was in college before I knew there was anything else on Saturday night besides Lawrence Welk.

My BIL is a PhD music educator, played with Arthur Fiedler (who tried to recruit him), and several other major swing/dance bands, and ran a sideline dance band for 50 years.   He said once LW's main talent was recognizing the very best musicians, and then he offered them lifetime employment.   Somewhere in the Midwest is a retirement village of LW alumni.

"Iron poor blood" anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0TSDcPW2Kk

Oops, what was the topic?

Quote from: bobbin on September 12, 2013, 02:35:27 pm
Oh man... Geritol was the banner behind Lawrence Welk's orchestra.  

I loved LW, I grew up with "that music" and I love dancing!  When I was in HS Lawrence Welk was my "guilty pleasure".  Really.  His orchestra was comprised of the best musicians available.  They could play anything!  And yeah, it was way too "Wonder Bread" for today's standards, but the quality of the music and performance was superb!

What was Geritol made of, anyway?   
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

brmax

Thanks everyone, i been working with the knee lift and hand lift both and it works great.
I have set next weeks goal to be able to chew gum at same time.
thanks and good day
big band music is still cool i dont care what anybody says

sofadoc

My brother was a contestant on The Amateur Hour. He was a 16 year old pianist. He didn't win. But he did take home a prize pack of Geritol, Serutan, and Sominex. And he got calls for months after that from Household Finance offering to loan him $250.

Remember HF's jingle?

Never borrow money needlessly
       But when you must
       Borrow from the oldest company
       From folks.....you trust

You don't see any loan companies today urging you to borrow responsibly.

Take Sominex tonight and sleep
       Safe and restfull sleep.......sleep.....sleep

JuneC

Hey y'all.  Been a while.  One of my favorite LW "moments"....  LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8tdmaEhMHE

As a child of the '70's this is pretty funny.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

Do you think Mr. Welk knew what "One Toke" meant?

BTW: We've gone from locking stitches........to Geritol.........to pot. And we're not even on page 2 yet. :D

Another BTW: Welcome back, June!

gene

regarding the toke song:

QuoteSome radio stations refused to play this song because of the drug references, but not everyone got this meaning. In 1971 the song was performed on the Lawrence Welk Show by a wholesome looking couple Gail Farrell and Dick Dale, who clearly had NO clue what a toke was. Welk, at the conclusion of the performance of the song, remarked, without any hint of humor, "there you've heard a modern spiritual by Gail and Dale." Brewer & Shipley heard about the performance and searched for the footage, but didn't see it until the clip showed up on YouTube in 2007.

My grandfather was Hungarian and when I was a kid and everyone was watching Lawrence Welk, Lawrence would occasionally say something in Hungarian and my grandfather would be the only one laughing.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!