Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:10:57 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

A job you questioned

Started by bobbin, September 09, 2013, 12:12:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

Ever taken on a job you really questioned?  I just finished one involving reworking and shortening used drapery panels (cutting down a few and reworking pleats on a few more).  I generally loathe that kind of work (you have work with what is and deal with construction that isn't "by the book"), but I need to bring in revenue so I said, yes.  I fretted and fretted before finally taking the scissors to the existing panels (interlined to make it even more pleasant).  I told the woman it would be "stock and time" but the face fabric was a lovely chintz and had been expensive, she recognized quality and said "go for it".  I delivered and installed them today.  I had to add carriers to the traverse rods, something I've only ever done in the privacy of my home (I am no "installer") and everything went smoothly.  I was worried it would turn into a fiasco, but it didn't!  I can't wait to move on the to the little seat "slipcovers" for the 10 dining chairs... and then the thermally lined portieres for the foyer...

sofadoc

It always seems that the jobs I fret over the most end up going off without a single hitch.

But the older and crotchetier I get, the harder it is for me to get enthused about even starting a "fret job". And as I've stated before, "I never said that I was running a Democracy". Just because a customer is first in line doesn't necessarily mean that I'm going to do theirs first.

If I anticipate the job is going to be a PITA, I just have to clear out other more profitable work first, so I can get in the right frame of mind. I just can't stand seeing "good money" jobs piling up while I'm bogged down on something that I didn't even want to do in the first place. 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

To my good fortune, Sofa., the latter was not the case.  ;)  Desperate times call for desperate measures and one does what one must.  Lol.  Aside from the fact that what I worried would be a "loser" turned out to be a "winner" is the fact that my thought process and planning were "spot on".  I like having a "plan" and I like time studies.  I "put the watch" on this one and was pleasantly surprised.  As usual, the "ripping out" was the most expensive part of the caper.  Followed by the "set up".  Machine time was nil.  Reminder to self:  do not be afraid to charge appropriately for the PITA factor.  PITA is where my money is "made". 

I may have been freaked out about taking the scissors to a big panel to turn it into smaller ones but because I'd thought about it carefully beforehand I was able to do it "surgically" and with minimal fuss and fiddling.  I now have a "recipe" for that sort of work and a basic time/panel estimate for the next one that comes my way (and one will, of that I'm sure!). 

Also, sometimes you are forced to do things you don't like doing and those things really challenge you.  They can suck if you don't make the time to plan the work or allow yourself to be forced into giving a price before you've had adequate time to really assess the "sichyashun". 

Mike

goof for you bobbin , everytime I pattern a job make the canvas in the shop them im happy when I have all the pieces done but the next day when I have to go  install I fret vthat something may go wrong with the fit did I make a mistake or miss something. more often then not it goes on without a hitch but still I fret

Mojo

I had the opposite problem. I took on a full awning order for an expensive coach. In other words I did every bit of canvas on this guys Bus. Toppers, windows, door awning, etc. It has turned into the project from hell. I am fast approaching break even on this job. it should have been a simple turn around but has turned into a raging nightmare.

I keep thinking Linda Blair will pop out of the order form and start rotating her head. I have considered taking the paperwork to my Priest to have it exorcised. The toppers were perfect but the window awnings are the culprit. Puckering, color issues, on and on and on all on a very tight
schedule to accomodate his travels.

I told my boss ( wife ) that this week I HATE my frigging job. :(

Chris

Rich

Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

sofadoc

Quote from: Rich on September 10, 2013, 06:42:41 pm
crotchetier?

Heavy.......heavier. Speedy......speedier. You can see why crotchetier seem to make sense. :D

I seem to be getting replete with crotchetity.

Or is it crotchetyousity?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Rich

Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

gene

September 11, 2013, 05:51:08 pm #8 Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 05:55:50 pm by gene
Crotchetilious: having a crotchety like quality.

Crotchetylinear: going in the direction of becoming crotchety.

Crotchetynuclear: you forgot to take your meds.

Crotchetysupercalifragilisticexpialidocious: the longest word in the English language that begins with "crotchety".

I got a call from a guy who bought a used leather piece of furniture. It had an attached boxed seat cushion that was flat from heavy use - emphasis on heavy. He wanted me to cut the front seams, pull out the old foam, put in a new piece of foam, and hand sew the seams.

When I gave him a ball park figure for replacing the foam by taking apart the seat section without cutting the stitched seams, he said that would be OK, but then added that the arm was worn also and I would, of course, fix that while I was fixing the seat - no extra charge since I would already be working on the seat anyway.

I respectfully said no to doing the work. No need for me to get crotchety about it.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

Gene you getting a bit Crotchety?  Just kidding.

One thing, hand sewing heavy leather is slow business, at least you would have needle holes.

Customers would want the chair fixed badly before we could get together.

BTW, what will furnitue brands look like in a year?  Just Lane?

I hate what I see for FB.

Doyle

Rich

[quoteWhen I gave him a ball park figure for replacing the foam by taking apart the seat section without cutting the stitched seams, he said that would be OK, but then added that the arm was worn also and I would, of course, fix that while I was fixing the seat - no extra charge since I would already be working on the seat anyway. ][/quote]

You mean you weren't so elated for having him OK the work that you would say "yes sir!" and do the arms at no extra charge? How ungrateful can one be?

Rich

byhammerandhand

Well since he had his checkbook out, he'd be writing a check for $200 over the quote, since he was writing a check anyway?
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

baileyuph

Regarding jobs that look like they are going to be a special challenge, yes I have just finished a couple.  Interiors in Triton Boats, man are they convoluted.  I did a couple a year ago and they aren't a piece of cake.  This time, before I did these two interiors, my mind went through every piece that had to be patterned, where it was located on the seat and how the vinyl stretch would be placed because there are some ungodly contortions or shapes that have to be fitted without a myriad of seams.  This can become a challenge because too much stretch on the installed cover is not good, neither is not enough stretch  (leaves wrinkles).

Triton boat company did a beautiful job on their interiors which means a shop has a lot of questions if they intend to look professional as factory expertise.  So, every boat like that it is only natural to question.

BTW, the hours mount up on those interiors.

As a comment, never understood why fish guys would spend all that money for a boat just to look good while they bass fish?  Grin.

Doyle