Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:11:32 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

this is my next project

Started by MrsP, September 04, 2013, 01:18:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MrsP

https://plus.google.com/116088991734608406875/posts/jQfqRhJDFUu

And I need help figuring out if I really want to sink more money and time into this chair.  I had it reupholstered about 20 years ago by someone who didn't do a good job.  The IB is crooked, the OB is also not straight, and after I saw what a bad job was done on it I realized I probably could do better.  Turns out I can, but I never tackled this chair because I'm not sure what to do to make it more comfortable.

I've never taken an upholstery class, I read things here and have a few books. 

The problem is this seat I believe is too mushy.  I sink down a bit when I sit in it and after a few minutes my upper back begins to feel strained.  I think it needs more lumbar support but don't know what to do, or if this can be fixed by me.  Or maybe it just needs a new firmer seat, but I don't know how to make it firmer.  I took a pic of the underside to show the springs, I have never dealt with this type of spring before.  https://plus.google.com/116088991734608406875/posts/eMTyWAa76xT  Aren't they supposed to be tied together?  Could that be part of the problem, because these are not tied?

My other option is to donate it to the thrift store and buy another chair, I have a couple that I know of that would work but they are old too, just bigger chairs that might be better for our family.  This is a small lady's chair and really I am the only one who ever uses it.  (I'm the only lady here...)

SteveA

A simple solution > without redoing entire chair >
Could you get a replacement foam cushion.  High density to replace existing.  Than a separate purchase for a fabric covered lumbar back cushion.  Not too much spent for an older chair. We're lucky to have you Mrs. P -
SA

MrsP

Thanks, SA. These are both things I can try now to see if it helps before I go ahead with the whole project.