Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 02:50:37 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

allergies to fabrics and such

Started by gene, August 19, 2013, 07:09:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

August 19, 2013, 07:09:59 pm Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 07:11:07 pm by gene
Howdy,

I'm working with a beautiful wool fabric: 88% wool and 12% rayon.

It got me to thinking.

I know people who are allergic to wool, and I wonder if they would not be able to work with this fabric? Would they not be able to sit on this furniture with the wool fabric on it?

I've never had an allergic reaction to any fabrics that I've worked with. And with all the chemicals that are added, for strength, fire retardant, etc., I'm a bit surprised that I haven't.

Has anyone had allergic reactions to any fabrics? Or any other common upholstery chemicals?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

Good question Gene.

I sometimes get nauseated when cutting certain colors of acrylic canvas. I know that sounds weird but some put off more fumes then others. Burgundy seems to produce alot of smoke.

I run my ceiling fan on high when cutting to keep the smoke out of my face. In regards to fabric, I have never experienced a reaction to any fabric. I have had wool bother me though when it comes into contact with my skin. I can remember our blankets in the Marine Corps were wool and I hated it being against my skin. Made me itch like crazy.

Chris

sofadoc

When I was a teen, I used to hear of upholsterers having to give up the trade due to allergies, and other fabric related health issues. It seemed like it was fairly common back then. 

I remember several blaming their respiratory problems on the harsh dyes and chemicals. Of course, many (if not all) of them also smoked like a freight train as well.

I remember barfing up a lung a few times myself, because my stepdad sat at a desk about 10 feet away from where I worked on furniture, and lit one cigarette right after another. I don't remember his cigarettes bothering me that much at home. But at the shop, the combination of his cigarettes and the fumes from the fabric dyes kept my throat raw.

I'm not bothered in the least by fabric allergies anymore. Maybe the manufacturers have stricter standards now? And our society has finally stopped giving smokers free reign. Back then, it was nothing for a cook at a restaurant to smoke while he prepared food.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Grebo

Not allergies, but I suffer from static shocks on some fabrics more than others.
Worst I had was from Sunbrella ! maybe it was something to do with the shipping. ?

Suzi

ajlelectronics

In the 70s it was very commonfor women to suffer static shocks. Everything was nylon, carpets, knickers etc produced some impressive sparks in offices. There were some that used to water their carpet to discharge it.

Grebo

Funny enough I thought of that & mostly wear cotton. In & out  :-[

Suzi