Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 03:28:24 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Gravity feed steam irons--------educate me.

Started by sofadoc, August 07, 2013, 08:10:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

A salesman is coming by the shop next week with some used upholstery tools/supplies. Among them, is a gravity feed steam iron.

Do any of you furniture guys use one? If so, what could I do with one that I can't do with an ordinary steamer?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Most alterationists use a gravity feed iron, Sofa.  I have a Naomoto, that replaced a Sapporo that served me for 15+ yrs..  I could prolly resuscitate the Sapporo with a few parts and some time, but... you know. 

Great irons.  BUT! make sure you use distilled H2O if you live in an area where there is a high mineral count!  Iron is high in most water samples in my area and I never put anything but distilled H2O in my iron's tank.

Need more info., just ask, my friend!

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on August 08, 2013, 02:52:23 pm
Need more info., just ask, my friend!
OK, I'm asking. How would I use one for furniture upholstery?

Lately, I've had a resurgence of pleated skirts. Many fabrics don't hold a crease very well. But I'm reluctant to hit 'em with a 1000 watt iron.  I've damaged chennilles before by getting too close with an ordinary steamer.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban