Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 01:30:33 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Needle Holes in Bimini Top

Started by timtheboatguy, August 01, 2013, 05:06:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

timtheboatguy

I made a bimini top for a pontoon boat and accidently stitched one of the frame pocket zippers on in the wrong direction. After correcting this little mishap, I now have a complaing customer who is worried that the holes are going to be a problem later. The zipper is 24" so I have a nice set of holes about that long.

The fabric is 11 ounce Harbor Time which is very similar to Top Gun. I was thinking that if He (the customer) would just leave the top up for a week or two, the holes would close up. I also thought about trying to steam them. Any ideas other that replacing the entire panel?
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Mike

Thats sucks man ive been there. I dont know if the holes would close enought to satify the customer , hes aleeady upset i hate it but id rellace it lesson learned
I wouldnt let the customer see the mistake it try to camoflauge it. 
What i would do. Is. Ive seen pockets done like this on high end boats.
Under the pockets  sew a swuate of reinforing fabric  your pocket is probably 5" wide so you would need a 10" x24" pad and id redo all the center pockets to match.  Mayve the main pockets somehow also.   But i wouldnt try to let it go and have the customer see it.

Im sorry but id say to the customer im sorry i made a mistake the holes will close but ill redo it.

baileyuph

I don't know, adding a reinforcement on the bottom would cover the holes "on the bottom side".  But, customer will see the top side, right? 

Chalk it up and redo it so you won't have to worry.  To add patches on both sides doesn't seem like an option.

Doyle

Grebo

August 02, 2013, 02:17:28 am #3 Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 02:23:13 am by Grebo
So the zipper was in the right place but the wrong way round ?
Or in the wrong place.
Sounds like too late for this time, but if you do it again....
If it's in the right place unpick & run some narrow double sided tape right along over the stitch holes where it will be covered by the zip, then restitch as close to the original line as you can, if you start off right you should be able to cover most of the holes with the new stitches, the tape does a good job sealing any you miss & helps keep you right on line.

Not that I would know of course  :D

As Mike said, now he's seen it & is already complaining, replace it & write it off to experience. Good will is worth much more in the long run.

Suzi

Eric

August 02, 2013, 04:49:22 am #4 Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:52:27 am by Eric
Another option. Take clear marine silicone caulk,appy a very fine bead and spread with your finger into holes. It will hardly be seen, do this on inside. Tell customer what your doing, that it will seal holes, and offer a $50.00 discount, or whatever you feel.
If he accepts, this will save you from having to redo, especially if your busy.
Eric

timtheboatguy

Thanks for tips. Think I'll try Mike's idea and see if that will appease him. Perhaps use the silicone too.
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Mike

Doyle i belive the top is probably flat on the center bow where tim is talking about a oversized reinforcement patch keppinv the patch  double with windth of the pocket the stitch lones would be in the same holes and under the prober stitch hole of the corectly placed zipper. Asuming the zipper is on the side not the center of the pocket either way there will still be stitches covering the bad holes.