Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 04:18:22 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Eyeletts etc

Started by Allan, July 15, 2013, 12:14:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

Just wondering what all the marine and any others use for eyeletts and press studs (durables)??
Do you use Nickel coated, stainless steel or brass??

Allan

jojo

Depends on where you are; I live in northeastern Pennsylvania and all of my customer's use their boats in freshwater. So I use the cheaper nickel snaps.
But if I knew someone was going to use their boat on the ocean, I would only use stainless.

Grebo

Salt water to very salty. All stainless apart from grommets, then I use brass, cos they are easier to close than ss & I don't have a decent press.

Suzi

scottymc

I only have s/s, there is not that big a difference in price for the amount you use. 5c for brass, 7c for nickle or s/s.

Allan

I also use the stainless steel units however like Suzi it is a pain to set the eyeletts
I tried some nickle ones recently and the setting of them is so much easier and i can set them with my one tonne arbour press whereas i need a large press for the stainless ones
Not sure how they would stand up in the salt water though

Maybe it is a matter of using ss for marine and nickle for everything else

Allan

Mike

for grometts on my t top I have nickel and nickel brass snaps on  my cover 2 years now on my saltwater canal and I see no ill effects isn't nickel brass a good thing?

Grebo

Quote from: Mike on July 15, 2013, 07:52:11 pm
for grometts on my t top I have nickel and nickel brass snaps on  my cover 2 years now on my saltwater canal and I see no ill effects isn't nickel brass a good thing?

Nickel & brass cost more than plain brass, here.
May be not quite as strong ? but I haven't had any fail.

While we are on the subject,  ;)   any recommendations on a new press ?
My Osborne button press is showing the strain.

Suzi