Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 10:34:21 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Reintroduction and steamer question

Started by DDandJ, June 22, 2013, 04:18:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DDandJ

Hi everyone,
I haven't posted in about a year so I'll reintroduce myself.  I'm Jeremy and am an amateur upholster.  Hobbyist here.  Luckily my livelihood doesn't depend on my upholstering skills.  If it did, I'd starve.  Ha ha.  I hope to be pro at some point.  I'm in awe of the work I see here.

Over the years I've accumulated the must haves.  It all began with an inherited Consew 206RB-1.  I have an air compressor and a Rainco staple gun.  I'm currently working on my set of parson's chairs.  They originally didn't have skirts but I am skirting them.  I'm sure I'll have questions about that as I go along.

I've got in my head that I need a steamer.  Any upholstery shop should have a steamer, right?  I've found the Jiffy J4000 on ebay for a good price and free shipping.  It's a new one from one of the power sellers.  My question is: if I intend to be a professional furniture upholsterer, do I need this steamer?  Every upholstery shop I've been in has had one.  I've never used one.  How will this steamer benefit my work?  I guess I'm just looking for a little justification for the purchase even thought I have no issue with the price.

Thanks,
Jeremy

MinUph

Welcome back Jeremy,
  A steamer is one of those finishing touches like a brush after a haircut. Or a towel after a car wash. It can do wonders for wrinkles, marked up velvet, steaming pleats so they lay flat, Many many uses not to mention adding a good amount of moisture to the room LOL. When I started many years ago we didn't have a steamer. We used an iron for steaming, then I bought this little plastic steamer that came with a packet of salt to help make steam. When I learned what this little bugger did I ordered a Jiffy J2 and used it up until a year or so ago when it was replaced with a new one. The J4 is a bit larger and more expensive and does take a little longer to build steam but if the price is right oh well. You might want to compare with Allbrands.
http://www.allbrands.com/categories/374
Just to see what a new one from a reputable dealer runs.
  Have fun.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

DDandJ

Thanks, Paul.  You gave me the answer I hoped for that the steamer gives that finishing touch.  Thanks for the link.  The prices are the same as Allbrands.  I may go ahead with Allbrands just to be on the safe side.

About a year ago I bought an upholstery "textbook" from my local upholstery supplier.  It is the Singer Basics Plus book.  The book doesn't talk about steamers but instructs to steam the finished piece as the final step. 

I finished the first of the Parson's chairs and while it looks pretty decent it could stand a good steaming.  I'm hoping this project of four matching chairs will be a good learning experience.  I did a little mid-century chair last year and it turned out pretty good.  Sofadoc gave me a lot of advice along the way.  I think practice will improve my skill.  I have several pieces of my own to work on. 

Thank you again.  I will order the steamer tomorrow.

Jeremy

DDandJ

Paul I just visited your website.  Your work is beautiful.  Your's is the work to which I aspire.

Jeremy

MinUph

Thanks Jeremy,
  You will like the steamer just don't burn yourself lol.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website