Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 04:31:20 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What seam to use?

Started by Stitches, June 21, 2013, 04:46:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Stitches

What seam should I use to join accent color on boat cushions/upholstery?  I've got white as the main color and want to add some sort of stripes/swoosh's with navy for the accent color and navy 138 thread

Mojo

I used a simple fell seam on my own interior but Mike, June and the rest of our marine experts will have the best ideas.

When it comes to marine work I am the last person you want to listen to. :)

Chris

Mike

June 21, 2013, 01:12:35 pm #2 Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 01:15:33 pm by Mike
I take it the swoosh wasnt there b4. Alot of time the foam is cut to follow the swoosh and the seam tuck inbetween the foam. Ic it dos t tuck in with the seperat foam piece and is just a color change. I like to just  lind stitch it is the the term no topstitching. Because as in this pic it was topstitched at the boxing end and if the color change seam was topstitched you would have a bulky area trying to topstitch over topstitch
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/Upholstery/photo-6.jpg
Whatever stitch it will look much beter if you add a 1/4" or 1/2" sewfoam to the vinyl.

Other times ill have a piping sepersting

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/Upholstery/b232ae29.jpg

Stitches

Correct there was no swoosh there before. Heck there was no interior in there before either ha ha.  Ya I plan on usin 1/2" sew foam   Basically a swoosh or curved stripe on the back cushions.  I don't want plain white cushions. Also I am not going to using welting

forsailbyowner

Most of the factory ones I take apart have a simple single pass seam with the selvage trimmed close. I just completed a 20' vector powerboat that had four colors originally and went to simple white to save money on the new cushions. the boat was sunk and needed new foam and a few new foamboard backings made. I seldom find customers who want to pay extra for the multi colored cushions. I find all that bling is just eye appeal and boaters more often just want clean functionality.

Mike

I hate it when somone thinks going Ll  white sill sav
Most times eith the fam pattern. Sll shite or colors you still need the seams. So your just savi g a few yards on a whole. Boat usualy   
Somtimes yes one color
And.mno seams.  Bit yearly how much are they saving i wont cut it that much lower for a few yards and  a couple hours really 
So ill go like $300 less on a deckboat and youve got booring seats

Stitches

For me,  all white is too plain.  I spent a lot more time adding some navy swooshes and making patterns than I probably would have if I just stuck to a solid color. But being me, and as a beginner, I always tend to go the hard route and try to challenge myself more than I should

baileyuph

I run into the same type of customers also Mike, those that think it is significantly cheaper if the seats are done in one color (usually white).  They don't appreciate the functionality of seams.  They probably wouldn't want the job if I actually followed their initial suggestion of going with only one color.

That's business.  One thing I wish boat customers would do is get their stuff done in the winter when they aren't using their vessels.  They all come now, want it in a week or two, usually before, and think we are just sitting waiting for them.  That is our winters, but probably in the winter, people use their boats just as much as summer there in the southern coastal area.

Back to the marketing part of the business, so many people who never have seen what is involved in the work, just don't understand.  I do them a favor and ignore them.  LOL.

Doyle

Mike

Doyle when i was in NH.  Is was the same. All winter when they. Ouls leave upholstery to be done i onl got at most 3 small jobs. Licly i had a small bait shop to keep me busy at all. The boat was out of sight out of mind  while they got on eith family and holiday stuff