Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:06:34 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Marshall Coil Spring Repairs - New Asian Furniture

Started by baileyuph, June 19, 2013, 05:09:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

This type of repair was surfaced in a thread below.  It prompted me to ask those in upholstery repair if they perform these repairs?

Overview:  The marshalls are, generally  rows and columns of smaller coil springs encased by individual clost enclosures (little sacks).   They were used extensively before the entrance of foam and for a while afterwards.  Back then they were built more durable compared to M.C. units we see incorporated in Asian new furniture which is failing right and left.  The units are found in the cushion areas of furniture (deck area).

With that, now back to The "do you repair" question:

Does your business perform the repairs and as a follow on what technique is used?

Two avenues that come to mind are to disassemble the bottom cushion sufficiently to build new sacks, reinstall the coils and then reassemble.  Or, through replacement parts usually supplied by the furniture vendor which includes a unit replacements?  Replacement units can include a spring unit, like originally used or the unit incorporated in a complete upholstery unit to be installed, like I said in the bottom deck area.

My experience, replacement units either solely a M.C. unit or complete unit that integrates not only the M.C. unit but all associated upholstery enclosing the unit are not usually made available for perhaps a number of reasons:  primarily, not cost effective to do install.  To add, in my business it is too expensive for me to simulate the requirments to perform the repairs which usually are needed early in the furniture's life (within 6 months).

Be interesting to know if other upholstery business people are  engaged in this sector of the new furniture business and whether the repair procedure is usually a repair or replace procedure?  I assume any replacement parts are provided by the vendor of the furniturer. 

These M.C. units, from my experience are failing, at a rate that I suspect will cause changes in building/retailing the furniture. 

Any experience in this matter?

Doyle

MinUph

Marshall units are not all that hard to replace. Repairing one would not be cost effective. These units can be found at any supply house. Add or remove rows as needed and place back in the filling.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

I'm getting a lot of failed units like this one:

A Marshall unit with foam scraps glued around it. This unit sits on top of No-sag springs. I refuse to even try to re-create this mess. I give the store the option of either ordering me a replacement unit, or I'll replace it myself with a solid slab of foam.

If they choose the latter, then we have the added problem of replacing the other sections of the sofa so they all feel the same. 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Asian marshall coil units are not the same size, nor built like traditional units we have installed in reversable cushions for years nor are found in reversable cushion applications.

They are not as durable.  Getting to them in furniture from Asia, can be labor intensive, so far retailers are avoiding the cost, just replacing the entire sofa or love seat or?

It should make most of us business people ask why Asia has gravitated to the M.C. units they use?  Maybe they are learning someting has to be done different.  Also what drove them to building M.C. units, in attached deck cushion builds? 

I have seen the tops of their coils literally wear through the processed leather covering and also fall through somehow, out the sides of their encasement in some cases, all over the floor.  Gets humorous, LOL.

Dennis, do any of the stores order replacement M.C. units?  Or any order the entire assembly including new upholstery?  If not, it is because of cost or availability, most likely.  I agree with the arguments of replacing one with foam, it will be a different experience to look at much less the experience of sitting on it.

Doyle