Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 04:19:27 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Thread twist?

Started by Stitches, June 14, 2013, 08:20:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Stitches

The manual for my machine is calling for left twist thread.  Is left twist the norm?  When I order it do I have to specify left twist.  I want sunguard 92 or 138 thread for boat upholstery.  Probably use a 22 needle am I on the right track?  Oh ya machine is a rex 26-188

Mojo

I believe all thread is left twist unless you specify a right twist thread. If memory serves me correctly Sunguard is a left twist thread.

Maybe one of the others know for sure. I do know that if your sewing on a twin needle machine then the left needle prefers a right twist thread. On a normal single needle machine most of us use left twist.

Some of the threads change twist directions with the size of the thread. Solarfix for instance is a right twist below 2000. If your sewing 2000 clear and above Solarfix then it is a left twist.

Chris

sofadoc

Left twist is the norm. You shouldn't have to specify. At least I never have.

I'll let the marine folks chime in about needle size. 22 sounds fine to me. But then, I only do occasional marine stuff when a regular customer holds a gun to my head.

I use 92 for patio cushions. 138 for the infrequent boat piece.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

20 for V90 and 22 for 138. I always try and go with the smallest needle size possible, especially if it is an outdoor applications.

If you start out with a 20 and it frays or you have problems then increase it to 22. I myself would probably start with an 18 gauge for the 90 and go up to a 20. I have sewn 138 with a 20 gauge before.

Alot also has to do with the material your sewing as well and how many layers.

Chris

Stitches

Quote from: Mojo on June 15, 2013, 10:27:08 am
20 for V90 and 22 for 138. I always try and go with the smallest needle size possible, especially if it is an outdoor applications.

If you start out with a 20 and it frays or you have problems then increase it to 22. I myself would probably start with an 18 gauge for the 90 and go up to a 20. I have sewn 138 with a 20 gauge before.

Alot also has to do with the material your sewing as well and how many layers.

Chris

Well I've ordered 138 sunguard thread and have size 22 needle. Do I run the same size in the bobbin or something smaller

Mojo

I rarely ever run different size threads in the bobbin. I will sometimes run Solarfix on a top thread and bonded poly on a bottom one for an outdoor cover but never mix or match.

If I have 138 up top I have 138 down below, especially when strength is an issue. The Sunguard 138 is a good Poly thread. It is the only bonded Poly I will buy. It will leave your machine a little dusty so be sure to clean your tension disks and hook area out with a shot of canned air. If you have a bobbin case then make sure you shoot some air under the tension spring now and then. It can get built up with thread dust and throw off your tension a little.

If your sewing red Sunguard then you will see more of a fallout from the thread. I believe it is the red that leaves behind the most crap. That is what others have reported here anyways. I have only sewn with black and white Sunguard.

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on June 16, 2013, 03:25:00 pm
If your sewing red Sunguard then you will see more of a fallout from the thread. I believe it is the red that leaves behind the most crap. That is what others have reported here anyways.

YUP!

Stitches

Holy cow that's sum fallout. Lol.

I ordered the navy. Will 1/2 lb spool outlast a boat interior project? 
I guess I need to get some g bobbins so I can wind some with the same thread
Anyone have any extra g bobbins they want to give me lol.  I'm such a cheap skate

JuneC

Quote from: sofadoc on June 16, 2013, 03:41:42 pm
If your sewing red Sunguard then you will see more of a fallout from the thread. I believe it is the red that leaves behind the most crap. That is what others have reported here anyways.

YUP!

Wholly crap!  What a mess!  I've never seen any thread do that.   

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

Quote from: JuneC on June 16, 2013, 05:58:06 pm
Quote from: sofadoc on June 16, 2013, 03:41:42 pm

YUP!

Wholly crap!  What a mess!  I've never seen any thread do that.
My supplier initially kept insisting that I was using the wrong needle. They refunded my money when I sent them this pic.

I had bought 4 colors (Sunguard 138) from them. The red was the only one that did this. 

baileyuph

Understandable, the thread must have a lot of short loose yarn strands in it.  Cotten can do this as well as synthetics, they have the short yarn strands, as well.  Makes one wonder thought why they did this on the red?

Does the condition effect the quality of the seam or is it too early to tell?

Doyle

Mojo

We had another member here who experienced the same thing I believe with the red Sunguard. For the life of me I cannot remember who it was. :(

I have never had that much junk come off any thread ever. What a mess.

Chris