Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 12:25:23 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

A New Idea !!!

Started by Mojo, June 09, 2013, 07:17:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

The Boss and I have been going back and forth on a new machine and we came up with a new idea and I wanted to run it by all of you to see what you thought. To me it seems to be a no-brainer but I do have some questions I need answered before I pull the trigger and look for one to buy.

First, consider my work. Almost all of my work is canvas ( slide toppers/awnings ). One of my marketing tools is highlighting double stitching on the perimeters which is a HUGE selling point. It gets me a ton of sales. So here I am thinking about getting a new single needle machine when it hit me........Why not go with a double needle machine ?

I could cut my sewing time in half as I would only need to sew one stitch line which would produce the double stitch for me. I spend alot of time at the machine sewing, rolling up and re-sewing another stitch line. With a double machine set up at 1/2 gauge I could make one run down each side and be done thus cutting my time at the machine in half.

Now my questions is this and it is one thing that scares me. Reliability. Has anyone here ever sewed on a double needle machine ? Are they finicky and require constant adjustments ? Are they as reliable as a single needle machine ? Any help or input would be GREATLY appreciated.

I am probably going to go with new as the used ones I have found all have small bobbins and most came out of factories. The one machine that caught my eye was the new HIGHLEAD GC20618-2.
It is a big bobbin machine ( top loader which all double needle machines are ). Just not sure of the quality and reliability of the Highlead in a double needle setup. The price is right as a new one with complete setup ( table, motor, etc. ) is around $ 1,600 - 1,700.

Consew and Juki make them ( more expensive obviously ) but I believe those are small bobbin machines which I do not want.

So do any of you have any experience sewing with double needle machines or have heard anything about them ? Any input would be awesome.

Thanks gang,

Chris

sofadoc

June 09, 2013, 07:34:03 am #1 Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 08:32:12 am by sofadoc
Great idea! I think you'll be happier with a specialty machine as opposed to another similar class machine to your Chandler.

Quote from: Mojo on June 09, 2013, 07:17:04 am
Now my questions is this and it is one thing that scares me. Reliability. Has anyone here ever sewed on a double needle machine ? Are they finicky and require constant adjustments ? Are they as reliable as a single needle machine ?
That's the very concern that has kept me from buying a 5 thread overlock. I worry that it'll be 5 times as finicky.

I've never owned a double needle, but I haven't heard any complaints about them.

BTW The Consew 339 RB series are all BIG bobbin double needle machines.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

I sent a copy of this post to Bob and will follow that up with a phone call on Tuesday. I wont be able to talk tomorrow as I am having some oral surgery done. ( The wife loves it when I cannot talk ). :)

But he did say the only finicky part he has found with double needle machines are the thread. One needle ( the left ) seems to prefer right twist thread. I have no idea what Solarfix is - left or right twist.

I will let ya'll know what more he says after I quiz him more. If he has a used machine I would consider it but then Bob is the only one I would ever consider buying a used machine from because him or Bobby ( his son ) goes completely through the machines and replaces anything that even looks suspect or worn. Then they make their final adjustments so when you get the machine you throw it into the table and go to town with no headaches.

The other thing I like is that when he sets your machine up ( old or new ) he will set it up according to the thread you use. If your using mainly 138 then he makes his adjustments using 138. Or V90 or whatever. he had my Chandler set up perfectly for me and that thing sewed like no tomorrow.

I do know and he agrees that with a double needle machine ( in my instance ) it will be much less wear and tear as the machine will only be doing single passes instead of double passes. My Chandler has held up well and given me no problems considering I have used the heck out of it. It has done a ton of sewing but has had to work twice as hard to achieve the double stitch rows. I still have no issues with it but am going to have him go through it next month just in case.

I think this is going to be a big positive in many ways. If I go to a double needle machine I can produce more because of less time at the machine. But I still would like others input. I just want to make sure I have all the bases covered because this is going to be a big investment and you all are very good at pointing some things out that I may not have considered or thought of.

Thanks,

Chris

sofadoc

I've recently discovered this dealer in Dallas:
http://www.sunnysewingmachine.com/index.php/view-all-machines/18-walking-foot-sewing-machines/76-double-needle-walking-foot

They disappeared for a while when they were re-locating, so I lost track of them. I recently took my 1508 head to them to be re-timed. They did it on a Saturday morning while I waited. Total cost: $65. I had previously always had a little trouble with thread breakage when using needles below 20 gauge. They timed it better than any machine I've ever had.

While I was waiting, I test drove some new models. I even talked to "Sunny" about trading in my 1508 for a new one. He talked me out of it. He said that there was nothing wrong with my 1508, and that "You couldn't damage it if you tried!"

Sunny Sewing Machines in Dallas is my new "go to" place for all my sewing needs. I couldn't recommend them highly enough to anyone in the North Texas area.

Chris: I noticed that there are 2 types of double needle machine. With the more expensive "split-bar", you can disengage one of the needle bars as you turn corners.     

Mike

could you have one dedicated machine chris? me ive never found the need to even think of getting a double needle

Allan

Chris

I have a double needle singer and i think it was June that got one as well
I mainly use mine as a single needle and since the Mitsubushi i have not used it much at all
Yes the thread can untwist but i found the surelast thread i now use is a lot better
I had mine for sale and no one wanted it so i have decided to keep it and give it a good tune up
It is a great machine
Pity we are not in the same country

Allan

Mojo

With the vast majority of my sewing being double stitch runs it just seems to make sense to me to use a double needle setup. One pass instead of two appears to be a time saver.

To explain how I work, I roll up the fabric and sew the edge. I then roll up the fabric and sew another stitch line 3/8ths from the first one and parellel to the first line. It is no biggie on a 47 inch run. But it is alot of wasted time when I am sewing, rolling and sewing on 30 ft long slide toppers.

I just cannot help but think that a double needle would eliminate the time it takes to roll and sew a second row of stitches. Like I said almost everything I sew requires double stitch runs. maybe I am looking at this wrong. But with a single needle it is double the sewing.

Allan: I would have taken that machine off your hands if I lived in Oz. Good to see you on here mate. Hope your doing well.

Chris

MinUph

Seems like a no brainer to me Chris. The work will be much better and the time will help pay for itself.
  Untwist your thread in your fingers if it tightens clockwise its right twist if the opposite you know the answer. Good luck tomorrow.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JuneC

Like the others say - it's a no-brainer.  Especially with your OCD.  Just imagine, there's no possible way for the distance between the two rows of stitching to vary.  :)

I very rarely use my double needle.  I didn't really have much need for it but found it listed in Craigslist for $50 complete so I couldn't pass it up.  Works like a charm, though. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

Yeah if you do a lot of double stitching anyway, might as well do it in 1 pass instead of 2. 

I think a mistake that many small shops make, is buying a specialty machine for a specific purpose that they really don't do that often.

Over the last few years, I've visited several "Going out of business" sales, where I spotted a serger gathering dust in the corner. Same with long arms, double needle, post beds, etc. They bought it with the intention of getting a lot of use out of it........just never worked out that way.

But I'm like June. If any $50 ones come my way, I'm buying 'em whether I need 'em or not.

Mojo

Quote from: JuneC on June 10, 2013, 07:15:03 am
Like the others say - it's a no-brainer.  Especially with your OCD.  Just imagine, there's no possible way for the distance between the two rows of stitching to vary.  :)

June

LOL. I know I really need professional help. My OCD causes me so much stress sometimes. I need to lighten up. I bet I have thrown out close to a $ 1,000 in toppers because I didn't like how they turned out. My wife keeps telling me I need medication. I am such a frigging perfectionist.

I go bat sh** crazy if my two stitch lines vary by more then a 32nd of an inch. If they are not perfectly straight I get out of my chair and kick my own butt. :)

Maybe she is right, I do need some medication.......lol.. Obviously the apple didn't fall to far from the tree. My son has a huge 45 ft mega dollar bus and if he gets any swirl marks on it after waxing he comes uncorked and starts over again. Worse then that he is a Mini Howard Hughes and is a germ nut and carries packets of Purell around in his pocket. You could perform surgery inside his ars and bus. My granddaughter calls his coach the " No Fun Bus " because he wont allow the kids to even wear slippers inside for fear of scratching the marble floors.

He owns an international tech firm.....can you imagine working for him ? Good gawd I feel bad for his techs.

Maybe him and I could get a two for one discount at a shrink. :)

Chris

Mojo

Paul:

If you ever need an oral surgeon look up Dr. Peak at Coastal Jaw Surgery. The man is awesome. I was in and out in 30 minutes. I did laugh as they draped my eyes so I couldn't see. Must be they do not trust OCD Marines. I have never had my eyes covered before like that but it worked. They pumped me full of valium before the procedure which really helps. I hate dentists and oral surgeons but this guy is a rockstar. Did an awesome job. :)

Dennis:

The plan is to make the double needle my primary machine, the Chandler will take over binding and center seam construction and the Juki will be my wifes baby. She loves that machine. No idea as to why but she has become a very active partner in the business as of late and I am loving it. She has always handled the bank accounts but now handles everything, including billing, contacting customers and even sewing now ( the customers love her Aussie accent ). She took over making and sewing specialty items and the woman can sew circles around me. Her 30 years of seamstress work primed her for this I guess. It has been a HUGE help with her taking over so much of the business and letting me concentrate on sewing toppers and awnings. But then as a very busy school teacher I assume she will have to cut back her involvement this fall when her high school starts back up.

The double needle will get a major workout being my primary machine.

Chris

otlass

I have a Econosew 1560 with a 1/2" gauge and like it, but I am not sure if you are really twice asw fast as with a single needle, maybe if you do mostly straight runs and no corners. I would buy a double needle again, but definitly a longarm and also would get the system where you can stop one needle to go around corners. Also, all my machines are top loaders and I never had any issues, I think top or bottom loader is personal preference.
The one thing more important than which manufacturer or modell to me is buying from a dealer who actually takes the machine out of the box and sews the machine off to make sure everything is working. Mine came straight from China and I had to send it off to a mechanic because the self oiling was not working.
And I can not find the spell check Sorry :)

Mojo

Otlass:

All of my sewing are straight stitch runs.....no curves. If I had curves to do then I would be concerned about the two needle set up as it appears one needle has to be lifted in order to go around curves.

I am pretty sure if I buy it will be through Bob Kovar as he has been my main machine man. He goes through every machine, sets it up to sew the thread you most commonly use so when you get the machine it is ready to work.

Thanks for your input. It helps to hear from those who have used double needle machines.

Chris