Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 06:19:39 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Batten Down the Hatches Mike

Started by Mojo, June 03, 2013, 09:26:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

We have a huge system coming in from Cuba that is going to nail us all week. They are saying heavy rains starting today.

We had a storm two nights ago and the coach got hit with lightening. Thankfully it took out the surge suppressor and not any of the coach electronics. The bad part I didn't realize it for two days and lost
$ 8 K worth of chemo drugs along with about $ 200 in groceries which was all in the fridge. I just ordered a new surge suppressor - $ 125. :(

I don't mind the rain as we need it. It has been real dry up here. They are saying the storm wont carry much in winds, just alot of rain.

Chris

Mike

boy that blows 8k in drugs/ can you make a insurance  claim?

the rains came this afternoon probably not that system but wind or rain im shut down on making a pattern on a searay ive got to do next.
its not great for fishing either

Darren Henry

Sorry to hear about the lost fridgeware bro. I hope insurance will cover it for you.

Look on the bright side though---aren't ya glad you weren't waxing the coach again when it happened ?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

No kidding. My chemo drugs is no big deal. My insurance covers them. The groceries I will have to take it on the chin as well as the surge protector which I get from a buddy of mine who is a dealer so I get it at dealer cost.

Despite the loss I am still very happy that the coach electronics didn't get fried. There are so many circuit boards and electrical systems inside them that it could have easily been a 5 figure bill just for internal components.

Chris

Mike

you made me think chris how does this surge protetor work I know the type for in the house and a pc  . I was thinking if your coach can get hit so could my boat and though not AS  COMPLEX IM SURE I DO HAVE  chart plotter vhf 2 2 bank battery chargers and a electric trolling motor I wouldn't want to hav e to try to replace all at once.  but ive never heard of a surge protector on boats   

Mojo

Mike:

One of my buddies who is a dealer for surge protectors sells two models - 50 amp and 30 amp. You basically plug the box into a pedestal and then plug your coach into the box. The box also checks the wiring / polarity and lets you know if you have dirty power which happens in some campgrounds/resorts. So you plug the box into the pedestal, check the lights and if the lights say the power is OK then you plug your coach in.

Here is a link to my buddies website -  www.technorv.com

If your plug is 120v/20 amp then you can buy an adapter that will allow you to plug your 120v cord into the 30 amp adapter and then plug your adapter into the surge protector. I have used this setup before when plugging into normal 120v/20 amp receptacles.

Chris

Darren Henry

Quoteand lets you know if you have dirty power which happens in some campgrounds/resorts

What is dirty power? Voltage < 115v?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

You run into dirty power in a campground from time to time because they use any electrician they can find. They install a new breaker or receptacle or whatever and miswire it leaving an open ground or they reverse the polarity.

Seen a couples coach burn to the ground once from that. It blew the hell out of her electircal system, started a fire and the rest was history. RV's, even the big buses are tinder boxes. They catch fire and studies have proven you have 3 minutes or less to get your fat butt and pets out a window before it is engulfed in flames.

Dirty power typically happens on 30 and 50 amp 240v outlets though I have seen open grounds on 120v circuits.

Chris

Mike

I hate this weather I had to  go  pattern today it was all sprinkly and making a pattern dosent stick if the boats wet or damp and marking if your sharpie hit a drop of water its over . so driving over it gwet a bit heavier I wish if it was going to precipitate just rainand be done with it and make it official so I ciome home now its done just grey   with an occasional drop.

Mojo

Just emptied my rain gauge today - 5 inches in 5 days and the big rain storm hasn't hit yet.
Thankfully it wont be like Trop Debbie which brought major flooding, including my shop. :)

Chris

Mojo

Mike:

Just checked the radar and it looks like the heavy stuff is about 50 miles away from you.

Chris

Mike

June 05, 2013, 01:27:19 pm #11 Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 01:39:46 pm by Mike
Yes it been steady for a bit here ill have to try first thing in the monrning.  I didnt want to drive 20 mile one way to have it go from spittig to rain.
A cool app on my i phone.
My radar in the app store.
Animated radar

Mojo

That pretty much looks like the weather I seen a few hours ago around you. :)

Isnt it pouring down rain there ?

Chris

Mike

not pouring, id still walk not run into the market

Darren Henry

QuoteSeen a couples coach burn to the ground once from that. It blew the hell out of her electircal system, started a fire and the rest was history. RV's, even the big buses are tinder boxes. They catch fire and studies have proven you have 3 minutes or less to get your fat butt and pets out a window before it is engulfed in flames

just had a reminder of how quickly they burn.A couple of weeks ago a guy who stores RV's lost 14 in a fire.A motorhome caught fire while they were starting it--it was very windy and very dry--The fire dept was there promptly, but there was nothing they could do.That was about 3 miles from the RV shop that I work at, everyone thought it was us when the heard the news report.