Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:10:57 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

outboard cover

Started by Mike, May 28, 2013, 02:00:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

this is on a mercury 5 pieces with a front panel with a zipper  the bottom skirt fots tigh and when the zipper is down the cover wont come off

motor styles dictate seam and number of pieces

jojo

Nice! I always have trouble with these; there's always inconvenient wires to work around, and getting them to stay on is a problem too.

Mike

most motor jojo I can make it tapered below the hear at the shaft as seen here the cover wont come up unless the zipper is opened and I make a cut out for the control wires the only motor ive had trouble with yet is the new evinrude e tecs they don't have much taper to ill add a strap under the block to secure it in big winds from going bye bye

Eric

June 06, 2013, 04:05:36 am #3 Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 06:31:08 am by Eric
Mike, explain how you pattern it please.
Do you ever make them, where the motor is left tilted up all the time?
Eric

baileyuph

I sure like that motor cover Mike.  Anxious to hear your answers to Eric's question.

I have one to make, I might try it with the zipper.  And those wires/controls, they sure get in the way. 

Mike, how did you handle the separating zipper ends, turn the zippers back and secure sew?

It wouldn't look as fitting but how would an elastic work around the bottom, instead of a zipper to hold it on?

Doyle

Mike

June 06, 2013, 02:29:20 pm #5 Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 02:45:43 pm by Mike
eric as with any patter I first tape blue painters tape at all the seams  then 2 sided tranfertape on the blue, I first taped on the top pattern then the front section then the upper curved piece on the side then the large side pattern then the lowest tapered piece my mercury here was 5 sections ,

having a separate cover from the morring cover the motor can be up trailering or down

doyle the sipper I use #10 coil as it dissent have to separate just zip shut loiike some zipped sweatshirt that don't open

Mike

June 06, 2013, 02:50:49 pm #6 Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 02:54:11 pm by Mike
here is the shape of my merc anyhere the different planes of the shape meet is my seams  uncovered

covered 5 pieces

baileyuph

Nice work Mike,

The question I had about the zipper is what is used to keep the zipper race from going off the zipper when zipping closed?  Do you have hardware for that or turn the zipper under and sew or sew a stop at the end of the zipper.

I have wraped the ends of the zipper with the fabric being used and sew it  around or across the zipper to keep the zipper pull from going off the zipper.  Just curious.

I don't have any hardware that is clamped on the ends of the zipper halves like is seen in so many cases.

Doyle

Mike

I sew a pice of the matching binding wraps ans sewn as a sipper stop , I tried the metal stop parts you crimp on each side I didn't care for the  look and they were slow and clumsy your sewing the zipper on anyway might as wll sew a stop rather then add a new process

baileyuph

you answered my question Mike, I agree with your technique.  Cut the zipper off the roll, sew each side, position the pull and sew the rest including the stops.

It looks custom also.

Thanks Mike