Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:11:50 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Zipper Question

Started by jojo, May 15, 2013, 02:25:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Okay, I don't know how I do it, but Ive gotten myself in a bind. I'm putting screen in side and aft curtains, and using #10 coil zipper. I had trouble finding black coil by the yard, (since I never use it, I didn't want to buy a whole roll), and ordered some from Perfect Fit.
But the tape seems really wide; it's 1 3/4" wide. This is throwing a wrench in my plans because if you butt two pieces of 3/4" binding where the center of the zipper is, there is zipper tape overhanging the edges, and it looks sloppy...the basting tape is showing.
So if I move the binding to the edge of the zipper tape, there is a gap in the middle, where you would cut the vinlyl for the zipper opening.
I hope Ive explained this so it is understandable.
Any suggestions?

Darren Henry

You could cut the zipper tape with a heat cutter (tedious PITA), or you could fold the outside edge of the zipper tape.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

jojo

Darren, I ended up cutting it. It was tedious....took forever!

regalman190

Jojo,

If you're ever in a bind like that again, call Miami Corp. You can order by the yard from them.

Joe
Regal Canvas

jojo

Thanks Joe. I didn't know that!

Mike

yes Miami will cut but what I would have done and it really looks god rather then then just butting 2 pieces of binding on the outside f the widow then cut the center bind bolth raw edges of the u binding the binding tape and vinyl edge this would have given you that extra width you need to do the u zipper first then bind them zip the u zip back together then finish facing you panel edges