Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:40:52 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Diamond Tufting on older furniture

Started by baileyuph, May 11, 2013, 05:51:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

In the case where cotton is used as filler, what type of button is preferred?

Nail in is not an option in this case.  Therefore it is between one with a prong or loop to hook a tie on.  Curved backrest.

This is an old one, still has the original tacks.

Prongs would make installation faster, anything to reduce time.

Doyle 

kodydog

May 11, 2013, 10:03:15 am #1 Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 10:18:05 am by kodydog
On an old piece like that I'm guessing the cotton may need to be replaced. When I need to replace any webbing or retie any springs that old cotton just falls apart when I take it apart.

As far as buttons I like the eye type and tie them on. Rarely do I use the prong. I find the prong gives me less control if, when I'm done, I need to go back and pull one or two buttons a little tighter. Nice thing about using a needle is if I need to move a button, on most fabrics, the needle won't leave a hole. I believe the prongs are used more in factory work where speed is more important.

I'm working on an oldie myself with horsehair tufts. Amazingly the webbing and springs are still in good shape so I pre-tufted with muslin to hold everything in place while I work on the rest of the piece. I switched from size 22 buttons to size 30 and the customer requested a small flower be centered in each. It should be  ready to deliver tomarrow. I'll post some pics later
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

May 11, 2013, 03:32:14 pm #2 Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 03:34:47 pm by DB
Kody you wouldn't believe the one I got into, like stated it was done years ago with size 22 and 2 in. prongs, but the interesting part about it the prongs were inserted in a wood square with a hole.  Not the metal tension retainer I have gotten used to.

Also Kody you will appreciate this; the job was COM and customer supplied me with shantung drapery cloth.  I didn't say anything, the little gal is a repeat customer and really didn't understand.  Cute as heck, BTW.  So I grited it up and got er done!  

About the cotton, believe it or not it was still good and such a nice grade.  

The chair must be around ?, maybe 80 years old, nice coils in seating.  Decorative tacks (french antique) were put around the lower edge of bottom and across the top and down both sides of a shaped top (the curved backrest I mentioned).  Different stroke, but if the next one isn't blond I might suggest something else on the fabric. LOL

BTW, the frame on this small occasional chair was tight as a jug.

Wow!  You have a challenge.  Repeat in all the pleats, that one will or does some sewing to the dimensions and fullness of the pleates.  

Yes to your plan of doing the mock up in muslin and then fit the sewn tuft right into the positions.  Also loop bottoms on the buttons is the way I would have gone also.  

My next couple jobs are also older pieces, they seem to be coming out of the wood work lately, must have something to do with the low quality newer furniture.  I can appreciate that.

Definitely let me know how this one comes out.  That pattern and repeat requirement in each pleat will make it a show piece.  Just be glad you aren't dealing with a piece of shantung drapery cloth.  I lost my religion at least once today.  Wink.

Doyle

MinUph

Tufting and old piece can be a challenge. Cotton is a fine filler for this. I leave the old buttons and fabric in place until I'm ready to do that section. This way the old cotton won't fall apart. Add a payer of new cotton over the old and poke holes where the buttons will go. Use loop backs and go to town. I would not recommend laying out the button spacing on any older piece as the old buttons are never perfectly placed. These are best done on the fly.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

May 11, 2013, 09:03:30 pm #4 Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 09:04:21 pm by gene
I rarely use prongs and it seems that I only will use them when they are going through thick chip board. And even with chip board I will tend to use my tufting needle before prongs.

I also usually add a thin layer of cotton over old cotton, even it the old cotton is in good shape. I like the synthetic cotton because it peals off in thin layers very easily.

I also will put "cotton eze" over the cotton if the new fabric tends to stick to the cotton. I've always had the impression that the old timers have gotten used to working new fabric over cotton and may not benefit from this product. I love it when I need it.

Here's a link that has a picture of it. I get mine from Sunshine Foam but their online catalog does not have a picture. There may be suppliers on this forum that sell it also.

https://www.fabricsupply.com/cart/product/show/39/Upholstery-Supplies/71/Cushion-Eze

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

In some cases, I've had pretty good luck with bonded dacron as a topper. I poke holes where the buttons go. The layer of bonded dacron doubles as a muslin layer. I love using prong buttons on flat stuff. But they don't work well with deep tufting.
Quote from: DB on May 11, 2013, 03:32:14 pm
Wow!  You have a challenge.  Repeat in all the pleats, that one will or does some sewing to the dimensions and fullness of the pleates.
I think Kody was talking about centering the flower on each individual button.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

momto3fatdogs

From the post above - "I think Kody was talking about centering the flower on each individual button. "

In quilting/sewing we call this Fussy Cutting.

Sam