Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 08:24:48 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

sleeper sofa

Started by gene, May 05, 2013, 06:10:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Howdy,

I am going to be reupholstering a sleeper sofa in the near future. I want to take the sleeper unit out of the sofa at the home and leave it there, then put it back in when I deliver the sofa.

How easy is it to do this? I don't want to carry that heavy of a sofa.

Do the sleeper units drop down into the sofa frame, or are they put in through the bottom of it?

Thank you for your thoughts.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

I can't say I have a lot of experience, but I did one Thursday.   All the ones I've done have been very much like a recliner mechanism.   They bolt/screw onto the frame and pop right out (through the top).  (Is this the point where I can say, "All you have to do is..."?)  If you can, take off the mattress to get it out of the way.  Another couple that I did had a channel that you put the bolt onto the frame, slipped the mech on, then added another bolt into a fixed position and tightened all the bolts.

The unit I did this week had to have weighed 300 lb.   It was a heavy memory foam 4" thick (Tempur-Pedic) mattress.

That said, another upholsterer once told me not many people did them because they are such a pain.  Maybe I've just been lucky.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

baileyuph

You are the right track, get the mattress off, remove mechanism out through the top, and last but not least, have an extra strong back available.  Almost essential to getting the unit out and back in without damaging surrounding upholstery.

Check the decking out for wear or as a requirement to replace (deck meaning where the loose cushion rest.

Check wood framing, as all the weight over time can weaken joints and/or structure.

Once getting the "hang" of it, I never thought of them except another day's work.

As a comment, I haven't had many request for these lately?  Do they still sell well?

Doyle

sofadoc

The older sleeper mechs DO weigh a ton. If you don't have 2 strong backs to carry it, it probably is a good idea to remove the mech at the customer's house.

The newer sleepers really don't weigh much more than a regular sofa (once the mattress is removed).
I remove the mattress, and tie the mech so it doesn't jump out when you twist it through the door.
I prefer to have the sleeper mech at the shop so I can fit the seat cushions better.

If you do decide to remove the mech, remove all the screws except the 2 "slip-joint" screws on each side (just loosen them so you can slip the mech out). Sometimes, I like to stand the whole sofa on it's end, and slip the mech out the bottom.
Quote from: DB on May 05, 2013, 09:48:27 am
As a comment, I haven't had many request for these lately?  Do they still sell well?
I'd say close to half of the sofas I do are sleepers. At least a couple a month.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

98% of the sofa beds I've done through the years come apart easiest by this method.
1.  Open the bed to the first stop so the mechs legs are on the floor.
2.  Lift the outside back so it ends up with the front rail on the floor. Like 90 degrees.
3.  Remove all screws. (you may want to mark where they went if you're new at this.) You may also want to get the hidden ones first so you can rock the body to get clear access.
4.  The mech will slide out the front of the sofa frame. Lift the metal away from the front rail when sliding it out and watch the inside arms.
5.  Install in reverse order. Again watching the inside arms. If its a tight fit put a furniture pad over the arms.

Note: While the unit it out of the frame close carefully and tie it down so it won't open up. I should have mentioned to reopen the mech to the half open position before reinstalling it.
  This was all taught to me by A manufacturer and it works on every one I've done. I leave the 2% open for discussion LOL. No pain smooth.

When transporting a sofa bed. I never liked tying the mech around the front rail. I tie the ends of the mech together. Castro Convertibles even have a spring part that locks them. That should be standard on all but it isn't.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

QuoteSometimes, I like to stand the whole sofa on it's end, and slip the mech out the bottom.

That is how I usually do it.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

Awesome. Thank you all very much. I'll let you know how it goes.

gene

I own 2 twin sized sleeper sofas that are about 50 years old and are in awesome condition. I've had people sleep on them and say that they are more comfortable than their own beds.

The way they make sleeper sofas today one could easily get the impression that they are not made to sleep on.

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!