Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 08:24:01 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Not enough Chalupas

Started by sofadoc, May 04, 2013, 06:06:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I got a call yesterday from a woman who owns several Taco Bell restaurants (I use the term "restaurant" very loosely here).

Anyway, she wants me to drive around to various TB's scattered hither and yon (the nearest one is 60 miles away) and remove the padded back panels ONE-AT-A-TIME and recover them.

Each store has no more than 4 backs that need recovering. Some only have one. They have a band of colors sewn in, and each store has a different color theme.

She said the last guy did them for $45 each. But he had become unreliable recently, as if he didn't even want the work.........go figure.

Apparently, she has me confused for one of her zit-faced teenage employees.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

Here are beginning and latest excerpts from a woman who needs some repair.   Interspersed is my explanation of all the work it's going to take to get it fixed, probably more than a full day's worth of work spread over a week or more.

Perfect.  Take your time and get back with me.  No hurry.  I really want to repair this but  I don't want to spend a huge amount if possible.

I have a drawer in need of repair.  The chest is made of birch.  I do not have the piece that broke off.  The chest has great meaning and a repair of any kind would be welcome.  Please call me if you would be able to repair.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

kodydog

The guy I work for sent 4 of us on a "rush job" to TB one morning. We repaired three booths in 2 hours. When the job was finished there was no one around who could cut a check. It took over a month and many phone calls to get paid.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

May 05, 2013, 06:05:51 am #3 Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 06:07:11 am by gene
Most Americans who work for cheap can make more money living on welfare.

My son said he was talking to a man who owns a big lawn care company. He operates in several cities around this part of the country. A few years ago he put an ad in the paper for workers. He got a call from a man in Venezuela who told him he will send him 6 guys who will work through the lawn care season. They go home for the winter. The man said that if anyone gives him trouble to tell him and he will fly that man back to Venezuela and send another man to take his place.

He's had these 6 guys working for him for 7 years now.

I'm currently reading about the history of Ireland. One reason so many people died in the potato famine of 1840's was that the English and Irish government did not want to give FREE food to people because they thought that would make people dependent on the government.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on May 04, 2013, 04:01:58 pm
When the job was finished there was no one around who could cut a check. It took over a month and many phone calls to get paid.
It infuriates me how restaurants and Doctor's offices are VERY well trained in the art of ACCEPTING money, but they don't have a clue about how to disperse any.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

scarab29

I have to say I'll ask if there will be someone there to pay me when I am finished. Been there and done that
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

byhammerandhand

One of my customers had a "help wanted" sign out front on my last visit.  Looking for people to work in the warehouse and on deliveries and pick ups.   

I joked with the warehouse foreman.  I said, "I'd show up.   And I'd show up sober."   

He replied, "So you know about this business?"

Sadly this was often the case at another customer's warehouse.

Quote from: gene on May 05, 2013, 06:05:51 am
Most Americans who work for cheap can make more money living on welfare.

My son said he was talking to a man who owns a big lawn care company. He operates in several cities around this part of the country. A few years ago he put an ad in the paper for workers. He got a call from a man in Venezuela who told him he will send him 6 guys who will work through the lawn care season. They go home for the winter. The man said that if anyone gives him trouble to tell him and he will fly that man back to Venezuela and send another man to take his place.

He's had these 6 guys working for him for 7 years now.

I'm currently reading about the history of Ireland. One reason so many people died in the potato famine of 1840's was that the English and Irish government did not want to give FREE food to people because they thought that would make people dependent on the government.

gene
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison